Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I used to have an 800 watt pioneer amp to power my 2 12" Audiobahn subs (600w max I believe). Then I acccidently shorted my amp and it didn't work so I through an old one from my garage in there. It's an Eclipse 3620. Now I just found some specs on the amp and it seems like it's a really sucky amp. Has anyone heard of or used this amp? I don't know much about amps and subs so I'm not sure if it's good or not. BTW my subs sound pretty good till I try and turn them pretty far up then they cut out, and I can't hear the bass outside of the car.

/rant

So to wrap this up, should I buy a new 800w amp like the one that came with it or is this a good amp for the subs. Thanks all

EDIT: BTW I'm thinking about getting this amp if it makes a difference.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117229

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Well MAX numbers don't mean jack squat. It's the RMS you need to match. So if the subs are 300rms find an amp that puts out 300rms(or in the area) per channel.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the problem I don't know the RMS, I bought the subs off someone else so I don't have a model number or anything. Would it be on the back if I tried taking the subs out of the box or something. Thanks

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
There may be a number or something but if you don;t know the RMS you are pretty much shooting in the dark and guessing and checking on what to run them at. You could take them out and see if there is anything, or you could ask the person you bought them from.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Hmm sounds like the amp isnt strong enough to power the subs. From the specs I found online this seems more a less a good sub for powering your internal speakers, not really meant for 2 12inch subs. Hope this helps.
Key Features:
Amplifier Type Dual Channel Bridgable
RMS Power at 4 Ohms 60 W x 2
RMS Power at 2 Ohms 80 W x 2
RMS Bridged Power 160 W x 1
Performance Frequency Response 20 Hz - 20000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 105 dB
Crossover / Equalizer Bass Boost With Bass Boost
Bass Boost Frequency 45 Hz
Low - Pass Frequency 50 Hz - 200 Hz
Other Features
Power rated @ 13.8 volts add 25 watts to above specs for 14.4 volts
MOSFET Circuitry
Dimensions Width 8.85 in. Depth 10.82 in. Height 1.97 in.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Ohh and that amp you were looking will work better than what you are using now. :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha ya thanks guys, the amp does power the subs, pretty good actually but I just can't get them up to high. I'm probably going to by that 800w amp because that's what originally came with the subs, I don't turn them up loudly that often so I should be alright. As for asking the people I bought them from, I bought them using craigslist off some people in sac (about an hour from my town) so I don't know them at all. Thanks for all the advice. Eventually I want to Dynamat the trunk and get better setup. BTW Boosta that's exactly the amp lol nice find

1 - 8 of 8 Posts