Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been asked over and over but im goin to ask it again. if i get the eibach prokit which lowers the front 1.4" and the back 1.6" should i get new shocks/struts or will my stock ones hold up? if i need new dampers do i have to get the ones from eibach or will the KYB GR2 shocks/struts suffice?

how much difference will this make in the cars(i have a 2003 focus se) handeling/driving over the stock suspension?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
if i do get new shocks/struts should i just go ahead and get the eibach sportline kit, if so will thhe KYB GR2 shocks/struts also work w/ them or will i need the eibach dampers?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I have the sportlines with the pro dampers and they work just fine IMO...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but if i get the sportlines do i have to get the prokit dampers or can i use the KYB GR2 dampers? also how is the ride, is it really harsh ar is it similar to stock?

·
Registered
299 Posts
youll be fine with the prokit and kyb shocks and struts it comes out to be a beautiful drop

·
Registered
308 Posts
Lowering any car with lowering springs (the typical method) will reduce shock travel and therefore the springs are stiffer than stock. This is done so that the shock travel is not "used up" when hitting small bumps. These stiffer springs require a heavy duty shock to tame the stiffer springs. This all results in a harsher ride but usually better cornering performance.
The KYBs should work fine.

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
If you gonna go thur the trouble of lowering you car. Do it right and change springs and struts/shocks together. I'd stay with matching springs dampers, they're matched for a reason.

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
if your gonna get sportlines, just go ahead and get KYB AGX's....
the adjustability is something you wont regret paying a little extra for....
and yes the Sportlines are totally worth it....
and it will handle MUCH better......
esp. if you also get a new rear sway bar... or at least new endlinks.....

hope you do lower it....
makes Foci look sweet.....

·
Registered
527 Posts
if you have it apart you mite as well save time and do it all at once. youll end up changing em out eventualy any way. id just order the pro kit.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
Wheel size only comes into play if you use a tire that doesn't result in the same overall diameter or smaller than the stock setup. A 17" wheel with a 215/45 tire is the same diameter as a 15" wheel with a 195/60 tire.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thnx for the help. if i do lower i will definately get new shocks/struts(probably the KYB GR2s b/c they're cheaper then eibach dampers). im still deciding on the sportline or prokit. im thinkin pro. could ppl post pics of their foci w/ prokit or sportline kit?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
SkaAddict said:
^
Wheel size only comes into play if you use a tire that doesn't result in the same overall diameter or smaller than the stock setup. A 17" wheel with a 215/45 tire is the same diameter as a 15" wheel with a 195/60 tire.
Wheel size also comes into play with the tire width. I dropped 2" on the 15" wheels with no issues but the 16" wheels (slightly smaller overall diameter BTW) will rub during agressive driving because they are wider. I am hoping this goes away with the camber kit, if not I will be switching out the springs cuz it's annoying.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
What size 16" tires are you running? They shouldn't rub, unless you have a size larger than 205/50 R16 or equivalent. Remember that the /XX number is a percentage of the tire's width, so a 205/50 has a 102.5mm tall sidewall. If you have a 215 or 225/50 you'd be looking at a 107.5 or 112.5mm tall sidewall, and may want to consider a /45 profile tire when you have to change your tires.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hey Ska, I have 205/50's. As you say, the sidewall height is 102.5 mm x2 for top and bottom, plus 16" converted to mm gives me a height of 611.4 mm or 24.07"

The stockers were 195/60s on 15" rims so they were 117mm sidewall x2, plus 15" converted to mm for a total height of 615mm or 24.21" so the 16s are shorter.

I just wanted to point out that tire width should be considered as well. I believe the extra width on the 16s are causing my rubbing, or maybe my springs dropped me more than 2" [dunno] . The calculations above are just to show I did my homework [:)]

I was thinking they shouldn't rub either but they do.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts