Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted via FF Mobile at tax time was going to lower the focus 4 inches and get me some wheels the wheels are 15x7 so what tire size should i in with?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Posted via FF Mobilego with*

·
Registered
259 Posts
4 inches? Is that possible

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile 4 inches and youll be slammed on the ground and scrapping the undercarriage on everything bigger then a pebble. Besides air suspension, there is no traditional spring shock and strut setup thatll go that low. The most you want to go is 2 inches, is plenty low and will give you all the handling characteristics you want, while still being driveable. Tires you should be fine with most especially since you only have 15s, even with a two inch drop. Just dont go too wide. Btw are you getting new wheels and you have 15s now or are you getting new wheels and still getting 15s. If your getting new wheels id go 16 or 17 depending on the look and performance you want.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Posted via FF Mobile what about 3.5 inch and not four and would a stock strut go that low?

·
Registered
177 Posts
The general consensus is to drop it 1.5" in the front and 2" in the back. I have the eibach pro springs on my 09' and previously on my 01'. Believe me when I say you don't want to go any lower, as all springs no matter how stiff will still allow for some movement, and if you go any lower than what I have mentioned you will be rubbing tires, having a tough time turning, needing a camber kit, and tearing up the undercarriage of your car.

1.5" up front and 2" is the perfect drop that allows for good handling and limited issues with rubbing tires.

EDIT: Also note that any aftermarket springs that lower the car will require aftermarket performance shocks/struts. As the factory ones will wear out very quickly.

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
Stupid double post.

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
How is 1.5" and 2" a general consensus?!

You can go 3+" quite easily and in fact in order to get 15" wheels to look right you'll need to be that low. You won't, however, be able to do that with just regular springs and struts. You'll need to install coilovers in order to do it right.

Like what was asked above, do you already have the wheels or are you looking to buy them?

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile what about 3.5 inch and not four and would a stock strut go that low?
No a stock strut will blow up. Like already posted if you want to go that low youll need an adjustable coilover set up or airride. The most youll get is I believe 2 inches. Again not to pry but it could help people help you better, but what do you want a 3.5 inch drop for? Are you doing shows? Do you just like the slammed look?

As far as wheels, did zts trims come with 16s?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
More precisely, a fresh stock shock may not even have 4 inches of compression stroke. Drop the car that much and you'll be on the bump stops pretty much all the time. You'll blow the shocks first and riding on the bump stops will eventually take its toll on other suspension components, the drive line (which is not designed to operate in the severe angles that will be created), and the chassis itself. Shorter springs require shorter firmer shocks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, no the zts didn't come with 16's. my last one did which was a 03. the 00 has 15's on it. yes i am lookin at some different set of 15's. they are 15x7's. no i am not doing shows just local get togethers and i love the slamed look. i will not be driving it all the time just about 1 to 2 times a month. (to move it in and out of the garage so others can use it don't count.) and if i can't get that low with a stock strut what type of set up can i get with 3-4 inch drop? thanks, rusty

·
So mote be it
8,961 Posts
ok, no the zts didn't come with 16's. my last one did which was a 03. the 00 has 15's on it. yes i am lookin at some different set of 15's. they are 15x7's. no i am not doing shows just local get togethers and i love the slamed look. i will not be driving it all the time just about 1 to 2 times a month. (to move it in and out of the garage so others can use it don't count.) and if i can't get that low with a stock strut what type of set up can i get with 3-4 inch drop? thanks, rusty
check out this thread for some inspiration and then search for the different coil over setups.
This suspension thread should should give you some ideas on the different coil over setups, some may be outdated (some arent available any more and there will be some newer ones not listed) A static drop will probably only get you just past the 2" mark, so for anything lower you will have to look into a coil over setup. Expect to spend north of $1000 for decent set. you can check out tirerack.com for more info on specific setups for your model/year.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
For a fixed platform= H&R's sport cup kit=2.6'' Forget the stock strut's/shock's, aren't going to happen= get that out of your mind. Quality coilover's = K/W's, H&R's etc. 1000.00+. Or you can just bag it & be done w/ your show's & stuff!

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile To be honest if your looking for the slammed look to show off a meet and greats Id say get the air ride. Itll be a good amount of money, but its the easiest to adjust on the fly. With an adjustable coilover set it seems very impratical to be adjusting it everytime you go out to a meet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts