Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be buying this cockpit protectant and am wondering what material the "leather" on the steering wheel and shifter actually are.

If it's leatherette, I can use the stuff above, but if it's actually leather, I'll have to buy something else to clean and protect the wheel and shifter.

·
Registered
781 Posts
it claims to be leather, but it's so treated and processed it almost feels like it's artificial. will know more in a few years when it wears out.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you look closely in the stitching you wont see any stitching where they made a circle, I believe it is vinyl.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think it might be leather. Wouldn't it be false advertising if they clearly mention "Leather Wrapped steering wheel" and "Gear Knob - Leather" and actually fit you leatherette or vinyl?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Mine is Corinthian leather. From Tuscany, Italy.

They had to skin 40 young corinthians to cover my seats, wheel, and knob.

It needs no protection. Corinthians are very tough critters.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm going to be buying this cockpit protectant and am wondering what material the "leather" on the steering wheel and shifter actually are.

If it's leatherette, I can use the stuff above, but if it's actually leather, I'll have to buy something else to clean and protect the wheel and shifter.
Use the following two and you should be good:

The Pro recommend you use both on your car: ( with the combo you can do your lcd, dash etc)..

Einszett 1Z Cockpit Premium

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-...t-premium-or-meguiars-quik-interior-detailer/

and

303 Aerospace Protectant

Most commonly used on interior dashboards, center consoles, door trim, leather seats, and in the engine bay

http://www.detailedimage.com/303-M2/Aerospace-Protectant-P12/16-oz-S1/#product-description

Works great on vinyl convertible tops, plastic rear windows, clear bras, and tonneau covers.

·
Registered
254 Posts
When I got my Focus I read alot about leather care. Something that I read was that over the years vinyl coated leather has become more and more common because it is much more durable than uncoated leather and many people don't take care of leather correctly anyway. I can only assume that Ford isn't lying about it being leather but this could be why it doesn't feel like leather. Supposedly domestic vehicles have been more likely to have coated leather versus European cars but they too get coated vinyl and I can't remember what I read about other imports.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Mine is Corinthian leather. From Tuscany, Italy.

They had to skin 40 young corinthians to cover my seats, wheel, and knob.

It needs no protection. Corinthians are very tough critters.

Beautiful, thanks for those great images of the Tuscany Red/Black, weird we don't get this choice in Euroland[mecry]

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
hmm... threadjacking a bit here, but I'm now contemplating having my front and rear doors reupholstered with leather/white stitching to match my seats. I guess it's only the interior packages that get the doors with leather too, as my charcoal black leather interior still has the odd cloth door inserts that I'm afraid will stain.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I saw an SEL at the dealer and the leather wrapped steering wheel was smooth like on my Silverado. This one looks like ray skin. Doesn't look real to me.

·
Registered
781 Posts
"leather" doesn't mean it comes from a cow either. could be any animal. squirrel leather wrapped steering wheel anyone? lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have been in the leather garment business for the past 15 years so I think I can offer a professional opinion.

The steering wheel is definitely wrapped in leather. There are many many types of leather as well as quality grades. Most likely the leather used is cow that has been coated and treated to give it durability. It could be buffalo as this is also a durable upholstery leather.

At the price of the Focus I don't think we can expect buttery Corinthian leather but I like the look and feel of what was used.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I went out and stuck my eyeball on the steering wheel.It's leather. Looks like they have two different types of leather wrap. Does anyone know how they make a leather wrapped wheel? Looks like they injection mold them somehow.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the answers. I think I'll hold off on something just for the steering wheel and shifter.

My Mom's Outback's leather/wood-plastic wheel is almost 10 years old and still looks fine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
How can I condition-treat the wheel, shifter knob and handbrake leather areas?

I personally do it with a clean mf cloth lightly soaked in water...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts