·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size and shape K&N filter do I need for the stock intake on an '05 ZX3

·
Registered
469 Posts
The air filter in the 05's is non-serviceable. You have to take it to the dealer and pay some rediculous amount for them to service it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
good news is until it changes color, as far as i know it will change color in about 6 months with regular use .

·
Registered
134 Posts
one year, 10,000+ miles and I looked at it while upgrading some lights - looked like new.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
You can unbolt the stock airbox, and fit a cone filter to the bottom of the MAF tube. If you go to Autozone or other parts suppliers there is a company that makes a K&N look-a-like cone filter that will fit. Here's a How-TO. I did this to mine, it's worth a few hp and 2 mpg or so depending on how you drive.

·
Registered
230 Posts
im still not sure how this helps, doesnt that stock airbox have a filter inside, isnt that what we're trying to replace? im sorry for being dumb.

·
Registered
107 Posts
five-speed,
As was stated above, the filter element is NOT REPLACEABLE, the unit is sealed.
In the response above, click on the "HOW TO" link and replace the complete stock unit with a cone type filter as described. I did mine and love it. [thumb] [thumb]
The instructions are straight forward, and will take you a couple hours.

Later

·
Registered
134 Posts
quiksilver said:
what are you guys tallking about... the color???

There is a red/green vacuum indicator gauge on the air filter assembly - much like seen on heavy equipment.

I have added an image of gauge - see My Photo Gallery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts