Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night i raced a newer Celica GTS with intake and exhaust (he told me thats what he had) and from the light i beat him by 2 car lengths. Im pretty sure those cars come with 180hp stock. and my car im guessing 125 hp if im lucky. Are those cars really that slow for the HP the have? he did start catching a little when i was in 3rd gear but not much. i had him to 90 mph then we shut em down. Do those cars really weigh that much? or was it just a really bad driver? i just thought it would atleast been a little closer.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
they have 180 hp at the crank, and probably around 150-ish at the wheels, the problem with the GTS is that it only makes 130 tq at the crank, and makes most of it's hp at really high rpms. i would say that's why you beat him so bad is because he sucks at driving and probably didn't keep it in it's powerband

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we also did a rolling take off from about 35mph, in second gear i pulled on him a tad. he started to pull a little in 3rd. but the take off is my cars set up, its more "torquey" but they way his car pulled i cant see 14s

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i looked up the quarter time of the celica gts. the 2002 runs a 15.6 quarter and 0-60 in 7.3. My best so far is 15.8 only did 4 runs with these mods. It was also kinda hot out, i think i can do a little better. maybe he was a bad driver too i dont know i was just wondering why they arent faster than that.

·
Registered
151 Posts
your missing the point.... they are fast. the 1.8 vvti gts motor is built of the toyota atlantic motors. when vvti kicks in it hits like a turbo. with mild mods such as a intake and exhaust 14s is very easy to reach. my old roommate had one with intake, exhaust and 100 shot of nitrous and ran 14.2. not to mention that at a rolling start he should have pulled on you mad hard since they are 6 speed.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well when we did the rolling start we were both in gear so no shifting was involved on the take off, just from 2nd to 3rd, we both took off and i pulled on him a little bit in 2nd but 3rd he pulled on me about the same as i pulled on him in 2nd. im just saying that kind of acceleration shouldnt hit 14s if it did i would expect to be low 15s but im not =(.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Im surprised he didn't smoke you. Maybe it was just a GT those are rated only at 140 bhp. My friends GT-S is frekin fast. I bet that guy didn't know how to shift.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts