1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
753 Posts
Sounds interesting. Could be custom job.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Our cars, Mk1 and Mk2's have a 4x108 bolt pattern. I don't think that 17x8.5's will fit correctly without rolling your fenders and maybe not then. I will move this to a better section for more accurate input.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
As far as I'm aware, no one manufactures a "shaved" rear hatch. All the ones you've seen have been done by the owner. The two main ways people have done this is either by welding a plate of steal in that area or filling it full of bondo. Both methods can be a lot of work but it admittedly look amazing when finished.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our cars, Mk1 and Mk2's have a 4x108 bolt pattern. I don't think that 17x8.5's will fit correctly without rolling your fenders and maybe not then. I will move this to a better section for more accurate input.
At 17 inch wheels, what would be the biggest one could go with width without having to roll the fenders?

as I said I know nothing about wheel specs (not sure why) and I want a specific answer instead of buying the incorrect wheel by messing up myself :p

So, what would the "rim" and "wheel" specs look like for the largest that could fit the mk1?

·
Registered
271 Posts

I do a full conversion to either 4x100 or 5x108 for our cars, so it is a possibility. Also I've done the 5x108 conversion for two different guys to run the 2013 ST wheels, and I don't think either of them had to roll their fenders. I believe those wheels are 17x8.5

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
^Great option!!!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
^Great option!!!!

Thanks! Here is a pic of the guys car that I did the 5x108 conversion for. The ST wheels look so sexy on the early focus.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Risk of breaking as the holes are so close?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
This is why he only does 100 & 108mm patterns, the 114mm some ask for puts the holes closer to the edge than is comfortable (scary).

·
Registered
271 Posts
Risk of breaking as the holes are so close?

It may look a little scary, but I assure you that it won't break. I can say so from experience, as my father and I have done this to many other cars, usually to change 5x100 to 4x100 for easier access to light, drag only wheels. My Father's 400hp Dodge Omni has probably two thousand plus, 6000rpm drag launches on the same set of hubs, and has never cracked one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts