Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in ford service today cuz my car has hesitation(driving uphill, steady speed at 2000-3000rpm mostly), kinda loosing power. There's fuel pump recall, and my focus is 2000, zetec.
Of course I was browsing forum and checked pcv, dpfe, plugs wires etc etc but car's still running bad.

Anyway... Some guy in Ford told me that I have to pay about 140$ for diagnostic and If fuel pump will be bad they will fix it for free. DO I HAVE TO PAY IT????
I found here other post this letter

recal1.gif

recal2.gif

It's clearly wrote there's no need to diagnose, they have to repleace FDM. Customer pay nothing.(I'm gonna print it, and go back there )

How does the diagnostic for fuel pump look like????
Other mechanic connected my car to computer few months before and said everything's ok!!! I'm assuming Ford Service will do same thing and I will lose 140$!!!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I assume what they mean is if the diagnosis shows the fuel pump to be bad, they'll pay for the replacement and the diagnosis. But if the pump is OK, you're on the hook for the diagnosis. I see the logic in that. So do your own diagnosis- stack the deck against them!

Let your fuel level go down to about 1/4 tank, then find a good cloverleaf, and go as fast as you safely can around the sweeping right-hand curves. If the engine cuts out or dies on the curves, that's a trademark symptom of a bad fuel pump. If it's unchanged from usual, then we'll have to look at some other things.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
.... I see the logic in that....
Agree I see logic also but, there's clearly wrote "...if customers inform you.... repleace FDM, there's no need for further diagnostics prior to fdm repleacement "

why they didn't write something like "if FDM will be in good working condition customer will be charged diagnostic fee" or "before repleacing FDM diagnostic will be requaired"

·
Registered
13 Posts
It is a cash grab. The directive from Ford is to replace the fuel pump without diagnosing if the symptoms are reported by the customer. Diagnosis may only be required if your vehicle still has a problem after the replacement.

Mine was done 3 yrs ago. No costs at all.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
i NEVER did any diagnostics... i just called and told them my symptoms and they said it's the fuel pump and replaced no questions.. i did have to pay for the new fuel filter though.

·
Registered
613 Posts
ok I'm having issues the engine is bucking and stuff,
total power loss at times, even if it's out of warranty they'll fix it?
the problem just came up for me, not even 2 months after i paid it off.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I performed probably over 100 of these recalls. If your vehicle is exhibiting the symptoms and they dx the fuel pump as being bad AND your car is covered under the terms of the recall, they should not charge you for diagnosis.

Part of the labor time that Ford is paying them to do the fuel pump includes diagnosis. IF they're trying to charge you diagnosis, raise the BS flag and threaten to drive (or tow) your vehicle to the next shop down the road and DON'T pay them. They'll see the light. Good luck.

·
C2H5OH
11,868 Posts
ok I'm having issues the engine is bucking and stuff,
total power loss at times, even if it's out of warranty they'll fix it?
the problem just came up for me, not even 2 months after i paid it off.

Yours is not covered, the cut off was mid 2001.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was in ford service today cuz my car has hesitation(driving uphill, steady speed at 2000-3000rpm mostly), kinda loosing power. There's fuel pump recall, and my focus is 2000, zetec.
Of course I was browsing forum and checked pcv, dpfe, plugs wires etc etc but car's still running bad.
So I just got my car back from the dealer ship after they replaced my pump replaced and it has the same problem STIlL can some one help me out?[mecry]

·
C2H5OH
11,868 Posts
What do the plugs/wires look like?
Have they ever been replaced?
Are they the correct plug/wire if they have?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts