Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2006 ZX3 about a week ago and am still getting used to the car. So far it's pretty fun to drive and I'm happy with it, but I've noticed something funny with the gas gauge. Whenever my low fuel light comes on the car only takes about 10 gallons of gas when I fill up. It has a 14 gallon tank so that basically means when the light comes on there are still almost 4 gallons of gas left in the tank. Is this a common thing with the Focus or is there something wrong with my gauge? If its something wrong, I'd like to get it taken care of while the car is still under warranty.

I'm glad I found this forum, appears to be lots of good information for me to learn about my focus. [thumb]

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
hmm....that doesn't sound normal to me..i would get it looked at...

Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to ff.com!

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,785 Posts
Its supposed to do that so people don't drive it till it is so empty that it burns up the fuel pump. My car has a 13.2 gallon tank and it is around ten for me as well.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i know what it's there for.

mine and everyone other car i have seen turns on at about 1.5 gallons left. the industry standard is the light is suppose to come on with 30 miles left on the tank...you do the math....

so the light coming on with4 gallons left doesn't sound right

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,785 Posts
Yeah thats not even close to 30 miles unless you are going balls out the hole way lol.

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
mine comes on with about 3 gal left

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm....that doesn't sound normal to me..i would get it looked at...

Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to ff.com!
Thanks! Looking forward to checking out the audio forum once I get time to update the stereo. I just looked at my receipt and it took about 10.5 gallons so it's about 3.5 gallons left when the light comes on. I guess that's still a bit early if the industry standard is 30 miles, but I wonder if that's something the warranty would cover.

·
Banned
172 Posts
i pump the gas until it stops. wait a few seconds then squeeze the trigger again till it stops and wait a couple more seconds and repeat till i think there is enough gas in it. this gives the gas enough time to seep down into the tank. i think the hole that leads into the gas tank is small and just fills up to fast and doesn't drain as fast as the nozzle pumps gas in.

REP IS APPRECAITED IF I HELP>

·
Registered
146 Posts
My 2004 has this same slow fill problem. I always try to fill up with the nose of the car downhill. Still takes about 20 additional spurts from the nozzle to get the last 2 gallons in. This also makes it hard not to overflow the filler and make a mess. [?|]
One day I'll drop the tank and see what I can do to fix it.

My 1991 Explorer had the same issue until I had the tank out to replace the fuel pump which was getting noisy.
I discovered the vent line had an extension about 3" into the top of the tank.
I cut this off flush and now it nearly fills up on the first click. Now you can barely get another .5 gallon in. [thumb]

David

i pump the gas until it stops. wait a few seconds then squeeze the trigger again till it stops and wait a couple more seconds and repeat till i think there is enough gas in it. this gives the gas enough time to seep down into the tank. i think the hole that leads into the gas tank is small and just fills up to fast and doesn't drain as fast as the nozzle pumps gas in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks, looks like that's what the issue with mine is. Guess I'll just have to fight with the gas pump every time (what a pain). REP given.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts