Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this grill a couple of days ago, and it looks great accept for the fact that when you turn the lights on, the indicator lights are very weak. If anyone noticed, when you turn your turn signal on, the indicators blink brighter than they are when they are initially on. What I am trying to do is have the indicators bright all the time and they dim when the turn signal is turned on.

So right now they start off dim, then go bright-dim-bright-dim
I want them to stay bright then go dim-bright-dim-bright

I want them on the bright by default

Can anybody help me please, if of course anybody undestood what I'm trying to explain.. :)

Attachments

·
FF Bouncer
3,178 Posts
Here is a How-To for something similar to what you are looking for:
http://www.teamfocus.us/lightdelete.htm

This will make your upper grille light illuminate only when you have the blinker on, so the effect will be they start OFF, then go 'bright-off-bright-off'. Be sure to remove the fuse(s) for the grille lights before you do this modification, then reinstall them after you are finished.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
also, if you do that mod up there, wrap some electrical tape around the severed wire, so as to keep it from touching other metal, and possibly shorting, or from corroding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks alot guys, I knew this was going to get confusing.. :) I read the how-to on deleting the indicator, but thats alittle different than what I'm looking for. I actually want my indicators on, but I want them to be brighter while they are on, then they can dim when I turn the turn signal on. So when my lights are on, I'm just driving around, I want them to be bright, then when I'm turning right, I put my right indicator on and the light will go from being bright to dim-bright-dim-bright and ending on bright again when I turn my indicator off.. So I basiclaly want the opposite of the stock setting..

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I get it. but you will have to find a sorta "reverse relay", normally the relay sends more voltage to the bulb to flash it bright when "on" and dim when "off". You want to get full voltage to the bulb all the time, then have your relay DROP the voltage to dim the light to indicate your turns. The result being that your running lights are bright all the time and dim intermittently on the side you are turning.

There should be something like that available or a way to hack the existing relay to do what you want. I am vague because I don't know much about relays except that they take a small input voltage to control a larger voltage switch. I imagine there are relays that allow voltage all the time until an input signal is received to interrupt the voltage.

That's a different idea there, kudos.

·
FF Bouncer
3,178 Posts
I'm not sure if the wire harnesses can handle the bulbs being at full all the time though. When I was looking into this same exact mod I wanted it to be bright, then go dim-bright-dim-bright so I tried to re-wire things and test relays like Focusnewb suggested. After all of my trial and errors, I noticed that my harnesses for the upper grille bulbs were starting to turn brown and melt slightly.

I'm not sure if anyone makes a heavy duty 3157 Wire Harness that is able to take more voltage than stock, but you could look around and see if you get lucky. In the end, I found that it was much easier (and looks better imho) to do the mod I previously mentioned. Good luck with your search though.

Cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanna see if there is any other way before I actually cut any wires.. I appretiate the help guys, but keep'em comin.. :)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
^^ firsthand knowledge is worth 100% more than my guesses [:)]

I considered that there might be overload issues. They're nae but wee bulbs so I dinna mention it.

I liked the 'off except when flashing' look myself so I left out the constant voltage wire (the middle wire IIRC) when I installed the ST170 headlights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts