Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not trying to make my PZEV into a rally car, but I want a smooth ride with good performance for the street. I live in CA and I was wondering if I would have problems later on with CA's smog checks if I change the exhaust system of my Focus. If I will, then what can I do to change my exhaust's look and sound? My knowledge of cars is slim to none, and I was wondering how muffler's work and if I can install one on my own and which mufflers are suggested. Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
65 Posts
you dont have to worry about smog as long as you get a smog legal exhaust but if you want a nice sound just get an intake if you want nice sound and some get up only about 160 compared to 350-550 for exhaust ....but all the intakes that are out for the PZEV aren't smog legal so you would have to put back the old intake in 5 years for the smog but it takes like 30 mins to do it no worries... and all the intakes sound nice....sinister type sound not like those f***ing jap cars that sound like rice shooters and dirt bikes

·
Registered
466 Posts
If your going for just the look, you could get just an exhaust tip to go on the end of your stock muffler. You may have to shorten the piping a little so the pipe won't stick of the end of the tip though. You can buy nice looking tips just about at any auto store for 15-30 bucks. They should also have a tool you can use to shorten your pipe.

·
Registered
271 Posts
get the magnaflow cat back exhaust thats what i got on my 2.3l i got the 2.0l exhaust it fits fine all they did was cut before the cat and weld it on fits perfect and sounds awsome it is nice and deep. when i rev it it pops. i'm telling u u can't go wrong with magnaflow. and it looks great

·
Registered
114 Posts
As long as you go from the cat-back you will still pass smog with almost any exhaist with a muffler. You should here an exhaust on another focus before you choose some have their own distinctive sound and some are better than others if you here one go by flag him down and ask him. I personally like the sound of a Sebring but their are other that are better. I just ahve an exhaust built by a Speed/Muffler shop with the Sebring it comes to like $220 and of course you are going to definately need an intake. By a Marcy or any of the other two it only takes about 30-45 min to swap out and you will have to change back to smog, but 4 years till you have to worry about that. Good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Could just get any exhaust and:

A) Hope the shop doesn't realize your focus is supposed to have two cats.

or

B) Swap the old exhaust and stuff on for inspection purposes.

The exhaust is a basic power mod that is generally done before others, because it'll allow more out of those components. FS tested theirs at 7whp gain too...so it's certainly worth it i'd say.[thumb]

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ordered my FocusSport exhaust tonight. Cannot wait to get it!!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
bradley said:
[I live in CA and I was wondering if I would have problems later on with CA's smog checks if I change the exhaust system of my Focus.
I asked the same question at a Ford dealership when i serviced my car and the answer was: "you should be able to get away with it".
I think we're ok just with the cat-back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts