Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Question about dropped vehicles

I bought this 2000 ZX3 about 6 months ago. I noticed my car sits lower than other foci out there. As far as I know this car is completely stock when I purchased the vehicle. Am I just noticing the ride height because I'm telling myself that it is different?

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
That car kinda looks dropped... not severely, but maybe Prokit status. You tires are a little meaty in the sidewall so maybe that's throwing the look, but I still think that's too low for stock. If you tuck your head under the car or peer in the wheelwells, can you see if the springs are black or another color, or have writing on them?

Your split spokes are also polished/chromed, that looks neat.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Your car does look to be about an inch and a half lower than mine does and it has the stock suspension on it. Look at your springs like said before and see if they have a company name on them or are a different color than black.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i have that exact same year and even color and it looks lower then mine youd have to use the link below to see it

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the observations. I'll check the springs tomorrow when there is light.

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
That definitely looks lowered, the best place to look would be to get down behind the car and look at the rear springs, take a picture if you can. But that looks to be about a 2" drop, how does it ride? Is it pretty connected to the road?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The springs are either blueish green, or light sky blue. I'm partially color blind so that is confusing to me. It might even be a very slight shade of pink.
Definately not black

Thanks for the comment on the wheels, it came like that (along with the tinted windows and the chrome tip). It was a "corporate lease" vehicle according to my VIN history check.. lol. So if it is indeed lowered, I don't know how it got to be.

I don't know how it drives.. it is my first car and I haven't driven many other foci. All I know is it takes low speed sharp corners very very well ! (enough to get me to be impatient when driving anything else)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okay, the springs look like these:

(img from myfordperformance.com)

"Ford Racing / KW Lowering Springs

* Fits Focus ZX3 and Sedan models.
* Drop your Focus to a civilized level with KW Sport Lowering Springs from Ford Racing.
* Lower your Focus 1.6" and not only enhance the look, but improve agility and handling of your daily drive.
* Note: Due to vehicle assembly tolerances, lowering specifications may vary."
(text from myfrodperformance.com as well)

I guess this is what it has?
How do these springs perform?
Is there any way to see if it has any other suspension upgrades?
Sorry for all these Qs, thanks very much for your time

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
Now it's time to find out what kind of dampers you have, because you don't want to be running stock dampers with those springs, though those are a sweet spring set-up! Take a picture looking through the spokes of the rear wheel at the shock, so we can determine if they are stock or aftermarket.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Zach16789 said:
If there not black then there not stock, but it being lowered is one less thing you have to do while modding it.
Eibach Pro Springs are black.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Correct they are one of the exceptions, along with all the other black ones, should edited my post but i am to lazy, yes they are black, so moral of story if you have black springs and it looks lowered look for a marking on them and if theres not one then i dunno what to tell you, lol.

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
H&R Cup Kit springs are black too. [;)] But they have H&R written on them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, no pictures yet.
They are black, and looks like it had some sticker stamped on the tube. Of course, its all discolored and faded so I can't read anything. The sticker is round and small. On the top it says "Ford"
I'm guessing they are stock ones. Is there anything that distinguishes them from SVT ones? pictures on the way

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are some pictures:

I took this photo and forgot what it was

Front springs

Through the wheels: front or back, I forgot.

Rear wheel

Rear

·
Registered
267 Posts
If the last pic is the rear shock (i'm not a suspension guy), that looks like a Ford part number. If you could get a closer look at it, maybe someone could run it through a list or something and figure out exactly what it is?

Nice sig BTW.

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
I want to say stock dampers, but it's so hard to tell. The Ford Part # you're seeing Kevan is the stock boot that you continue to use, no matter the suspension. They really look stock though. Once the car starts bouncing like a Cadillac on Hydraulics (should be a little while) then you know it's time to upgrade. [thumb]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts