Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I was doing some kind of brochures because i have too much free time and
I can't find any web site which say things like, if you put big brakes you need bigger wheels and suspension tuned, or any technical info-I don't know[???:)].

For example:

i want these brakes on "my" BMW 120i Coupe, car weight is no more than 1300 kg, do i need bigger wheels?

Brake, front
Single piston floating caliper compound disc brakes
Diameter mm 360 x 30, vented and perforated
Brake, rear
Single piston floating caliper compound disc brakes
Diameter mm 350 x 24, vented and perforated

standard brakes
Brakes, front
Single-piston swing-calliper disc brakes
Diameter mm 300 x 24 / vented
Brakes, rear
Single-piston swing-calliper disc brakes
Diameter mm 300 x 20
standard wheels 205/55 R16 V - 7Kx16

where can i find on internet catalogue of brakes and prices.
i tryed at brembo.com but theres nothing[confused]
it's not important at all but i just want to learn more about brakes and braking aspects of cars. I know for stopping distance tyres and car weight is important too.

If I'm on wrong topic, sorry - please move my question wherever it should be)

thanks in advance!

p.s. did you see ST wagon[ohcrap][ohcrap][ohcrap]

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
You don't need any of the other stuff to want bigger brakes. Usually bigger brakes just let you stop faster, and more often. So the main reason for them is for racer types. And they just want all that go fast stuff anyway.
The big downside of really big brakes on the street is they never get used.
And if you DO use them, the jerk tailgating you is gonna smash into you HARD.
So the only need for big brakes is in racing, or to impress your racing-geek friends.
On the street, they are not gonna do much real world for you.
On the street, having antilock brakes is the biggest help. Then you can panic brake and still turn. A big help which has saved my a$$ twice in the real world from major accidents. (nothing happened. the antilock brakes saved me from big 40mph/55mph direct hits)

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
the disc you are talking about is over 14in up front. id be willing to bet it wouldnt fit once you mount the caliper behind a 16" wheel like you have. The manufacturer should be able to tell you what the minimum size/ offset wheel is

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Tnx for answer

but i'm not thinking about racing brakes. I meant on bigger and lighter brakes compared to standard brakes.

@buckboy
I don't have 16'' wheels or bmw 120i coupe, i took that car just for example. And I don't know much about brakes and thats why I'm asking here some questions, however bigger brakes means bigger wheels right?

thanks

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
I really suggest trying a BMW forum. There's several very good ones and I bet they can give you some very precise and accurate info on that car just we can for the Focus. We're just taking educated guesses at best regarding a BMW. An since you're in Europe, there's probably a much different aftermarket (and aftermarket support info) for a car that's not even sold over here.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, come on peole, my english isn't so bad, is it?

@buckboy
I don't have 16'' wheels or bmw 120i coupe, i took that car just for example.
For example:

i want these brakes on "my" BMW 120i Coupe,
i don't have bmw 120i coupe, it is just example because it's a light small car, i just want to learn more about brakes and so on...

thanks again for replays, do you have any links to sites where i can learn more about upgradng brakes and so on.

·
slow
1,734 Posts
For example:

i want these brakes on "my" BMW 120i Coupe, car weight is no more than 1300 kg, do i need bigger wheels?

where can i find on internet catalogue of brakes and prices.
i tried at brembo.com but theres nothing[confused]
it's not important at all but i just want to learn more about brakes and braking aspects of cars. I know for stopping distance tyres and car weight is important too.
The answer is, it depends... One of the reasons cars with bigger brakes get bigger wheels is to clear the caliper of the new upsized brakes. But it varies due to wheel profile, spoke dimensions, wheel offset, caliper size, caliper placement, etc. etc.

Though, with that point, a brake upgrade may call for a wider wheel to get a better shape for the contact patch.

Remember, the only thing that touches the road are your tires, so upgrading brakes without good tires is just for cosmetics. It’s also been shown that many aftermarket brake kit makers can’t get the balance right, and their big brake kits can hurt performance over stock.

Check out the websites of stop tech and wilwood for a large selection of custom brake components if you’re curious about what’s available.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts