Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on an engine swap in my 200 Focus SE Wagon. With a few hiccups, things have gone relatively smoothly. The one major hiccup is that a couple of people decided to "help me out" and misplaced a few parts. Generally not a big deal. Now I have gotten the thing back together... almost. There is a single-terminal green wire sticking up over by the ignition coil that I can't see anything to plug into. It also looks like something should be attached to the back of the plate that the coil is mounted on.

The starter won't engage... Unless that wire happens to be in contact with the valve cover, then it kicks and shoots sparks. I can say, he fuel pump appears to be engaging fine. The darn thing just won't turn over.

Can anyone tell me what that missing part likely is, and whether that's where this wire likely goes?

Please forgive the idiocy. I'm no mechanic... but I thought "How hard can it be?" Now I know... at least next time, I'll know what I'm getting into. heh

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, I found my answers... The part is a noise reduction capacitor. Nothing crazy, but I got my hands on one, so that's done.

Concerning the starter, it looks like I missed a ground. That's fixed.

So the starter cranks, but the car won't start (don't worry, I found the problem). Fuel pressure looks good (no gauge, but it's jetting out of the fuel line pretty fiercely). Plugs are wet from the gas.

Plenty of spark both at the coil and at the plugs.

I figure, I got air, fuel and fire... The only thing I can think of that I might be missing is compression. Time to check the timing.

Turns out the engine I bought is 180 degrees out of timing. Next weekend, I get to go set the timing (bought a tool set from CFM to help) and see if this thing fires up.

Wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Exactly 180* out, it should run with the plug wires swapped (2&3 with 1&4).

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
If plugs are still wet it won't start, the spark shorts across side of porcelain under load and not enough goes through airgap to light it off. You definitely need bone dry plugs if cylinder is loaded up with raw fuel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figure I'll fix the timing just so i don't have to remember it's wrong.

As for the plugs, i left em out to dry. I only have time to work on it on the weekends, so there's time. Lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A quick update:

I bought the timing set from CFM. Fixing my timing took every bit of 15 minutes... AFTER I disassembled the motor mount and pretty much everything on the timing belt side of the engine bay... heh. So, I got the timing set. I put everything back together, and wonder of wonders, the car started. I know most of you have a lot more mechanical experience than I do, but, I'm calling my first engine swap a success.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Tx for the update - good to hear it worked out.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
It's always a success to get that far without damaging things, you'd be amazed how many can't get that far..............................luck

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Result!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It started, it runs, I can drive it. I'm working on what appears to be a lean idle (probably related to either the old gas in the tank, the new intake, or a combination thereof). I filled the tank with new gas, and added fuel system cleaner (Lucas Oil). Hopefully running the engine for a few miles will smooth out he idle. Otherwise, I get to start troubleshooting... Still happy with the result thus far.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Final Update

I figured out the problem with the idle. I had apparently disconnected a vacuum hose for some reason (it was probably for access to something else), and forgot to reconnect it. Yeah... Kinda dumb. That's ok though.

My Focus is now legal and has returned to it's former position as my commuter and all around daily driver.

Next project will be getting the parts and installing fog lamps. I HATE not having those.

Maybe next tax season, I'll slap a body kit and a new coat of paint on it too. Could be a thing. heh

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yay - Done.

Tx for the update/resolution.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Wow someone who will actually re-look over and critique his own work...............brother, you will own the car repair world. Most cannot think enough to do that, you are definitely in the minority.

Hooray for you and I'm not kidding................

1 - 13 of 13 Posts