·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Seeing as the speedo in my car is optimistic, I'd guess around 68mph

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok... thats on par with my car.. just wondering.. it seems kinda high RPM for a 6 speed car.. I thought it would have a deeper OD

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Yeh, mine sits at about 71 at 3k in 6th gear. Also my old 03 zx3 was a five speed and at 3k rpms it also sat at 71mph.

·
Registered
626 Posts
its not too bad. cause you can set the cruise on the freeway and still climb hills like a champ and the rpms dont even budge. if it was much lower id think the rpms would dive

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, I just thought that since it was a 6 speed it would have a good OD gear.. Im my mustang with 3.55 gears Im sitting an 3k at 70 ..

·
Registered
64 Posts
right around 70

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
its not too bad. cause you can set the cruise on the freeway and still climb hills like a champ and the rpms dont even budge. if it was much lower id think the rpms would dive
I agree, with the output of the engine I think it's actually pretty good. It's still in the efficiency range of the engine but still makes enough power to pass on the highway without downshifting and can climb hills without down shifting either. I think it was around 2500 the car would bog anytime you tried to accelerate in 6th.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
70 here too. I was kinda disappointed in this when I got my car because my Mustang sat at lik 1800 RPMs at 70
Thats what displacement and torque will do for you. I think all the new Vettes get like 28mpg by having the engine turn at about [email protected] 70mph. Go drive an Integra Type-R and deal with 4400 rpm on the freeway cruising [werd]

·
Registered
978 Posts
im right around 70 as well but usually dont run that slow on the highway, it just seem sto run better around 75, well at least for throttle repsonse if i need or want to pass

·
Registered
626 Posts
Thats what displacement and torque will do for you. I think all the new Vettes get like 28mpg by having the engine turn at about [email protected] 70mph. Go drive an Integra Type-R and deal with 4400 rpm on the freeway cruising [werd]
wow. that woud suck...
the lower rpms would also drone with certain exhausts at like2200-almost 3k.... kinda annoying sometimes.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Funny how that works isn't it? My friend old 94 Z28 got better mpg than my focus and the engine was nearly 3x bigger [dunno]

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I love 6th gear in the SVT. It's awesome for passing and just having fun while cruising on the freeway. I was surprised to hear that 6th isn't even OD when I first heard that, but it makes for a fun drive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm at 70 too. I do wish it was a little bit lower but I do like that I don't have to downshift for most hills.

·
MOAR BEWST!!!!
1,528 Posts
im at 71-72 at 3K. Also 3K is the bottom of the svt powerband so the previous posts were right on about having the power already there instead of having to wait for it. I agree that it might get better mileage if the RPM was lower but the bogging would destroy that mileage so give some and gain some.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Funny thing...if I'd seen this topic a couple weeks ago, I'd have had no idea where I sit in 6th at 3k.

But breaking in a new clutch and trying to keep a strict 3k limit sorta hammers home what the top speed is in 6th gear. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts