Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quarter Mile!

Last night was HUGE! If you guys remember my post about the import bash...I took the run to the track. Finished my quarter mile run witha 15.2 Second Quater mile at 93.6 mph. My friend with my MR2 ran his quarter mile with a 15.8 and I was laughing at him because he was talking so much crap! My friend with his turbo Eclipse was crazy though, he ran a 13.4 but it was turbo charged and it was fast! Anyways...that is my story....PZEV running faster than a Turbo MR2 with just intake and Exaust...gotta love the NA power ;)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha yeah, he isn't the best driver....he is suppose to run a 14.8 stock...but he has his J-spec intake and exaust comming in the mail in a lill bit. I'm gonna need to start thinking how I'm gonna keep up ;)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, definitly is incredible. But EG's guess was really close for my quarter mile run. He said 15.1 and .1 second off is close nuff :). I thought it was incredible though. I am hoping to be able to do 12's one day!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Nice run. [thumb] What do you guys shift at when you're really trying to get a nice 1/4 time? Just curious.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I personally shift at 5,900 RPM because according to the dyno sheets, that is when the car starts losing power. So always have the best times, I try to change gears before the HP drop and on the gear before teh Quarter is about to end, I try to hold it through it!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Post your timeslip #'s 60' 100' 1/8 mile etc... You car will not cross at that mph with just intake and exhaust I can attest to that. Even with the back seat and spare out[scratch] I have 17HP more at the wheels and cross at the same MPH[scratch] [scratch] [scratch] I was there the whole time and failed to see you run that # [scratch]

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ran them using a G-Force Quarter Mile timmer....they are only 3/4th of a second off....and I spent last night running them just for accuracy testings...and I've ran to an adverage of a 15.2...I'll bring out the digital camera to take a picture of it for ya...but I've ran it with other vehicals that have been to the track, and it gave readings of .1 seconds off.

·
Registered
65 Posts
a TURBO989 can you learn to spell...you said quater like 20 times it's F******* "quarter" dam it think before you type...i know it's NO typo since you keep typing quater....[?|]

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sowie...I'll go correct it for ya right now lol

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh yeah...I did a lill research for you to give you some information about the Quarter mile machine and it's accuracy. I found out car and driver actually use this machine to check quarter mile times and gain their numbers for the vehicals they test drive....also I'm leaving a breif FAQ about this machine for you!

What are the new Performance Timer Accelerometer products?

The Performance Timer Accelerometer Vehicle Performance Computers evaluate your vehicle's performance by measuring its acceleration, horsepower, cornering and braking forces.

What exactly do the Performance Timer Accelerometers do?

The products have two basic modes:

In the "Timed Run" mode, the Performance Timer Accelerometers measure your vehicle's acceleration and braking forces during a brief timed run, and calculate acceleration times (including 0 to 60 mph times, quarter mile times and speeds, and 60 to 0 braking time and distance). After you make a one-time setup with your car's weight, the unit can also calculate horsepower.

In the "G-Meter" mode, the Performance Timer Accelerometers continuously measure and display the acceleration, braking, and cornering forces your car is producing.

Why would I want one?

The Performance Timer Accelerometers provide an easy, fun, accurate way to measure your car's performance. If you tune or modify your car, the Performance Timer Accelerometers let you measure how much your vehicle's performance and horsepower have changed. For drag race, autocross, track event or road race enthusiasts, the Performance Timer Accelerometers can measure your vehicle's performance as you change components, set-up, or driving styles.

What is the accuracy of the Performance Timer Accelerometers?

For most vehicles, the readings will be within 100 milliseconds "out of the box," and within 50 milliseconds after fine-tuning setup items for the specific car.

How many axis accelerometer does the Performance Timer Accelerometer use?

After extensive testing, we are using a 2-axis accelerometer, and have found that to be as accurate as a 3-axis system in every respect.

How does the Performance Timer Accelerometer know the speed and distance?

The Performance Timer Accelerometer tracks acceleration forces over time, and from this continuously calculates speed and distance. For accuracy, it tracks all these items approximately 200 times per second.

Here's a simplified explanation of how the system works:

For this simplified example, we'll assume a Performance Timer Accelerometer that performs calculations only once per second. We'll also assume that our car can accelerate with a force of 0.45G.

An acceleration of 1 G means that car would accelerate at 32.2 feet per second per second, which is about 22 mph per second. (That means, from a standing start, after one second, the car would be going 22 mph. After two seconds it would be going 44 mph, etc.)

In our example the car accelerates at 0.45G, which is about 10 mph per second.

So, let's look at the 1st second of our timed run: We were going 0 mph at the beginning of that second, and we were going 10 mph at the end of that second. So our average speed during that second was 5 mph. We can then calculate how far the car went: 5 miles per hour = 26,400 feet per hour = about 7 feet per second.

So after the 1st second, we've traveled 7 feet, and we're going 10 mph.

Now let's look at the 2nd second of our timed run (remember, we're still accelerating at 10 mph per second): We were going 10 mph at the beginning of that second, and we were going 20 mph at the end of that second. So our average speed during that second was 15 mph. We can then calculate how far the car went, which turns out to be about 22 feet.

So after 2 seconds, we've traveled 7 + 22 = 29 feet, and we're going 20 mph.

Now let's look at the 3rd second of our timed run: We were going 20 mph at the beginning of that second, and we were going 30 mph at the end of that second. So our average speed during that second was 25 mph. We can then calculate how far the car went, which turns out to be about 37 feet.

So after 3 seconds, we've traveled 7+22+37 = 66 feet, and we're going 30 mph.

This is a simplified way to see how the Performance Timer Accelerometer tracks speed and distance during a timed run. Remember, in actuality, the Performance Timer Accelerometer continuously measures G-forces, and makes these calculations hundreds of times each second.

ENJOY!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
actually, it was more of a typing habit instead of an actual spelling error...I find myself typing stuff like lol in my essays and when I proof read it, I hit myself >_<

·
Registered
114 Posts
That explains your MPH then the G-tech takes the exact speed at the 1/4 mile mark, while the Track takes the average speed of the last 60'. Looks like your road was slightly down hill for that MPH so it would affect your ET a little. Look up my post on my 1/4 with the G-Tech, I have a G-tech Pro you don't have to explain anything to me. Take it to the track then post the numbers, you notice I don't have my 13.7 posted that I ran on my G-Tech Pro. Don't say you went to the track when you didnt. But dont get me wrong the G-tech is a great tool to check your bolt ons after installation to see if any gains are there if you can't afford dyno time. Tell you what take it to the track on March 20 at California Dragway @ Fontana and tell your buddy with the MR2 to come and you can line up against him there(safer) I'll be there for sure, hopefully my new engine is in my Duratec by then if not I'll have my 01 Zetec as well. Also round up any other fast Focuses you know down there in the O.C. Bring any of your buddies that think Focuses are slow and I'll spank them in my 13 sec Duratec for ya! But in the future post timeslips not Accelerometer numbers, there are too many variables on the street that affect them the only way to get an accurate reading is to use it on a level airport but that would be hard to get on in O.C. they don't care here in the H.D. I wouldnt worry about the MR2 get the Header and flex pipe and cam timing and blow him away[burnout] Good job on your run make sure you get to Fontana on the 20th its only like 35mn. When I went in early Feb I checked in Tech drove down to Anaheim(Venom) off Katella got my Nitrous Computer checked then drove back to Fontana and ran my car its like nothing to get there. PM me if you want to go I'll have some Honda Boys meetin up with me as well as some Supercharged Mustangs

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
I found the G-tech pro to be almost dead on in time, but always faster by 4mph. But I'd take it to the track for good numbers. Slips are good...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Egz said:
I found the G-tech pro to be almost dead on in time, but always faster by 4mph. But I'd take it to the track for good numbers. Slips are good...
That's what confused me Egz, in his first couple sentences he said he took it to the TRACK. Said nothing about a G-tech he called it something else, but in a later post. And he said whatever he used was off by 3/4 sec which would put him at 15.9 or 14.5 that 3/4 sec off. I know I have the G-tech Pro but street has to be perfectly level. I hope he meets up with me at the track so we can run them there, and I'm sure he can get a low 15 at the track so more of our Duratec will gain respect in SoCal. Most honda's dont even break into the low 15's with motor swaps. The more 15 sec and lower Focuses we can get on the track the more street cred they'll get.

·
Registered
522 Posts
What are the Gtechs costin these days? I'd like to get one just for some ballpark numbers.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Gtech Pro? New on eBay for 50.
Gtech Comp? Much more.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well when I mention the track...I have a buddy that works at the El Toro Base...and that is where me and my buddies race on the runway....it is safe there and also no cops :). I thought that that would be flat enough no? Sorry I said track....just my friends and I call it "the track" and used it here...sorry for the confusion...but I'll definitly try to take my focus down to fontana. That is of course DMV doesn't suspend my licence for 6 months on the 12th of this month ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts