Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to change the spark plugs because now the motor has 80,000 miles and I am still using the factory ones. I am not really into racing stuff, so I need rather something durable (not Bosch) for everyday driving. I would appreciate your input, folks [:)]

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
autolite 104 copper core

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha, I called the dealer today to ask about the OEM plugs, and guess how much they cost? $17 a piece. I can't believe it! I better try Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On their website, the price for OEM would be $45.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The autolite 104's seem to do well with the coil on plug ignition we have. I've seen 221whp n/a made with those plugs in a duratec.

I reccomend replacing them every oil change to every other oil change.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
aero_student said:
It definitely does not fall into the category of long-lasting plugs for everyday use [;)] I am actually looking for something that would last at least 60k miles. Sure, it would leave me with the current 145 horse power, but at least I would have to replace the plugs every 10 oil changes or so.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
aero_student said:
The autolite 104's seem to do well with the coil on plug ignition we have. I've seen 221whp n/a made with those plugs in a duratec.

not neccesary, every 30k is good for replace ment wtih cleanings every other oil change.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would suggest a platinum plug, and replace them once a year.
NGK for example makes an awesome plug....
I use them in my 300M for racing.

Good stuff

·
Registered
164 Posts
aero_student said:
[paranoid] That would burn such a big hole in everyone's pocket, they mind as well not drive if they're throwing money to the wind on parts that don't need replacing. At least, i've never heard of changing them numerous times a year.

·
Registered
47 Posts
NGK iridum plugs are only 6.80 a piece at o'rileys. i just bought 8 for my E55

·
Registered
672 Posts
Every 30K should be more than ok, unless you have an engine problem (like burning oil or detonation) which can cause a proble. Also, they don't need cleaning. Plugs in modern engines that are in good condition will keep themselves clean. Fuel now burns so completely and efficiently that the plugs don't foul up. Gap them at stock, and they will still fire at .010 to 015 wider than stock.

·
Registered
859 Posts
euro_zx5 said:
[paranoid] That would burn such a big hole in everyone's pocket, they mind as well not drive if they're throwing money to the wind on parts that don't need replacing. At least, i've never heard of changing them numerous times a year.
The Autolite 104's are dirt cheap.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
EricR said:
The Autolite 104's are dirt cheap.
Yeah... quit smoking and you can change your plugs EVERY DAY and it will probably cost you less at the end of the year than smoking [thumb]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts