Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, my brother has discovered that he needed tires on his 99 Buick Regal. So he searched on a site called tirerack.com, which is supposed to have the best prices on tires, and by far, they do. So while he was looking for tires for his, I got a wild hair to have him search on the there and see how much my tires would cost when it comes time to replace them. For the exact same tire that comes on the car, which is the Firestone Firehawks GTA 02 P205/ 50R16, are around $87 and some cents per tire. Not bad considering around here if you bought that tire at a tire shop, it would cost you from 130-150. Anyways, the price isn't the issue. On top of him seeing how much they were, he was reading the reviews on them. There wasn't one good review on them. The main complaints were that they were too noisy and they didn't handle well on wet roads. A few said that they didn't get much wear out of them, but that wasn't a big complaint. I only have almost 20k on mine and the wear is min. They are holding up excellent to my standards, and I bet I can get a good 40k out of them. I haven't noticed that they are noisy and as far as wet traction goes, haven't had a big problem on that and have driven in tons of rain. Was just wondering what everyone's review of this tire was on here and would anyone recommend another tire other than the factory tire.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, didn't realize there was a section for tires. I'm sure this thread will need to be moved to the wheel and tire section

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
I have the FireSqauks on my old Focus. I was so happy to get rid of them at 24k miles. Wasn't pleased with them in the rain, and traction was only so-so.

My new one has Pirelli P6 tires on it, and they are so much better.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I have Goodyears on mine, I think they're pretty good.

Then again I don't really know anything about tires though...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Firehawks suck. I used to work at a firestone as a tech and they are not really a good perfomance tire. Bridgestone is good and I have Kumho's which I like.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
I don't like the stockers (Firestones). I'll be glad when they are worn out.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
When it is time to replace them, may I suggest the parelli P6 all season? That is what came stock on my Focus with the 16 inch rims. I am sure they make them for the 15 inchers too. I am loving them, and they are about the same price of the firestones. wet/snow traction has been great, and they handle great. I have 14k on the car and don't see any noticable wear.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I originally thought the tires were OK for the Focus. I went on a trip and noticed that they felt out of balance. I looked at them and evidentally had hit a pot hole or something becaues two of them were knotted. I have a set of Goodyear Eagle RS-As on the Foc now and they are great. They handle just as well if not better. They are quieter and don't roar like hell. And they have a little wider sidewall and can protect the wheels a little better. The Contour I have came with Michelins and they blew a big one. I have a nice set of Bridgstone Eagers on them and they are awesome all weather tires and have a surprisingly good feel on the twisties.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your responses guys. I've seen mentioned more than once the parelli's, so I might actually go with them next. I guess i've really never noticed, but all the complaints everyone is making about the firehawks are true, I just never pay attention to that stuff. I just assumed being noisy was just having a small car and didn't think there was anything I could do about that. What is really funny is the same day I posted this thread, the roads were wet that morning and just normal driving, I went to shift it from 1st to 2nd and it started spinning. I've never had it do that before, so I guess the wet handling isn't as good as it could be. The only good thing is that I am getting good wear out of them, but now kinda want them to hurry up and wear out so I can get some new ones. It will be another yr are so though before that will happen, specially since i'm not driving it near as much anymore.

·
Registered
793 Posts
look on tire rack at the kumho ecsta supra 712, i believe they have one of the highest ratings... i have them and i love them

·
AKA Calamity Jane
1,610 Posts
You know, I thought that they were great tires, and except for running over a screw, I haven't had any problems with them (that wasn't the tires' problem anyway) but now that I've read this I'm starting to wonder. When I first got my car (brand new) the tread was so new that every gravel I drove over would stick to my tires, that got very annoying. Now that it doesn't really do that so much anymore, I'm really noticing that it always feels like I have a low tire. And no matter how many times I put air in them, it always feels that way. Has anyone else had this problem. Maybe that's what you're talking about jsturm, I'm not sure, it's just a rather wobbly ride on the interstate. Anyway, other than that I'm very pleased with them and unless I buy a rims/tires package, I'll probably be keeping them on my car until they're worn out, they only have about 6500 mi. on them now anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had my 02 zts and in 2 winters i have lost all four firehawks to potholes. Pittsburgh is dangerous territory though. Anyone have a suggestion for rugged pothole handling in horrid Northern weather?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts