Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 SEL leather \ NAV. I have had numerous assembly issues.
  • The rear hatch would hit the bumper, rubbing the paint. Turns out the bumper was not attached properly. Ford had the dealer's body shop fix it.
  • The passenger door was not hung correctly. The body shop fixed that as well.
  • The NAV had gone black never turning on. The dealer had to disconnect the battery and reconnect it. This effectivly rebooted the system in turn deleting all my custom settings.
  • On the way to Vegas the car overheated. Ford dealer in Vegas discovered a defective thermostat, the part took 4 days to arrive.
  • Remote wiring a radar detector I discovered, what seems to be improperly assembled plastic trim pieces in the passenger foot well on the side of the center console. Also discovered the plastice hood piece that surrounds the NAV is not snapped into place properly on the drivers side, it can easily be pulled up.

Curious to see if anyone else is having issues like this

·
Registered
24 Posts
[*]On the way to Vegas the car overheated. Ford dealer in Vegas discovered a defective thermostat, the part took 4 days to arrive.

Ohh, forgot this...I always was in doubt about this...here where I live, the summer is 40 - 45 degrees high, but in the morning the temperature is about 30 celcius degrees, but when I start the car the temperature of the gauge in the car is about half of the first quarter.
In my previous VW it always was at the bottom and after a while with the engine on, the temperature started to rise.

Don`t know if this is normal, or it`s a faulty thermostat..

·
Registered
209 Posts
  • On the way to Vegas the car overheated. Ford dealer in Vegas discovered a defective thermostat, the part took 4 days to arrive.
I for one would not be upset over that issue ; )

That's too bad you've had some bad experiences but I'm sure you enjoy the car!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a great little car. handles and drives awesome. Yeah, I pulled into the hotel parking lot when it overheated. It would have been much worse out in the desert.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even with the new Thermostat the temp gauge still rises quickly. I think that is not indicitave of a faulty thermostat.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
One other member here had similar problems, a lot of body panels misaligned, etc. and Ford actually built a new car for him I believe... it's in a thread somewhere on here. He said it was pretty bad, but it got taken care of.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a 2012 SEL leather \ NAV. I have had numerous assembly issues.
  • The rear hatch would hit the bumper, rubbing the paint. Turns out the bumper was not attached properly. Ford had the dealer's body shop fix it.

Curious to see if anyone else is having issues like this
My Focus also had this problem. The dealer body shop adjusted the fit and repainted the bumper where the hatch had rubbed the paint.

I saw a Ford video where robots measure the fit of the body panels in various locations to see if they are within spec at the Michigan assembly plant. It's too bad they don't inspect the fit of the rear hatch/bumper.

·
Registered
533 Posts
My Focus also had this problem. The dealer body shop adjusted the fit and repainted the bumper where the hatch had rubbed the paint.

I saw a Ford video where robots measure the fit of the body panels in various locations to see if they are within spec at the Michigan assembly plant. It's too bad they don't inspect the fit of the rear hatch/bumper.
hi, mmm this isn't good, the Mk4 Mondeo in our country had exactly that same problem with the rear hatch. Ford issued a TSB that if the customer complains to repaint the bumper and fix a foil to protect it.
Chris

·
Registered
355 Posts
None of these issues on mine. Everything fits, opens/closes perfectly. Build date was 6/28/11. Hopefully they have these bugs worked out by now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will follow up with the dealer on the interior fitments. I would be curious to see if these issues are related to a specfic mfg plant. My car was assesmbled in Michigan. I know the North American cars are also built in Mexico. If I had to guess, Ford may have rushed the production startups on this car.
While my car was in the body shop I was given a new 2012 Focus SE sedan. It was built in Mexico. I looked it over carefully, drove it for nearly a week. It showed no fit and finish issues.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I will follow up with the dealer on the interior fitments. I would be curious to see if these issues are related to a specfic mfg plant. My car was assesmbled in Michigan. I know the North American cars are also built in Mexico. If I had to guess, Ford may have rushed the production startups on this car.
While my car was in the body shop I was given a new 2012 Focus SE sedan. It was built in Mexico. I looked it over carefully, drove it for nearly a week. It showed no fit and finish issues.
What was the build date on yours? Mine was also built at the Michigan plant.

·
Registered
218 Posts
All 2012 Ford Focus for Canada and the USA are produced in the Wayne Michigan facility. Not in Mexico.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
I saw a Ford video where robots measure the fit of the body panels in various locations to see if they are within spec at the Michigan assembly plant.
Maybe they should have a robot to check the robots............lol

·
Registered
401 Posts
Reading about all of the issues people have had with the new focus I don't think I will be buying one. That hurts to say but I have to be real. If ford is just going to slap these cars together and hope for the best that is not good enough. There are lots of cars in this class that don't shake when when you start off and don't have electronic gremlins and don't have plastic pieces falling off. Wake up ford! We love the focus build the damn car right! If you do we will buy it. Until then No way.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Reading about all of the issues people have had with the new focus I don't think I will be buying one. That hurts to say but I have to be real. If ford is just going to slap these cars together and hope for the best that is not good enough. There are lots of cars in this class that don't shake when when you start off and don't have electronic gremlins and don't have plastic pieces falling off. Wake up ford! We love the focus build the damn car right! If you do we will buy it. Until then No way.
I agree that everything sounds bad, and I have no intention of buying a Focus unless I'm convinced that they've got their system in order. Remember: the original Focus had horrible quality (17 recalls), but they eventually got it to be a solid & reliable car.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
This is a pretty isolated issue.. there have been thousands of the Foci sold thus far and I haven't seen a lot of reported issues like this. May have been one specific batch or day at the plant... mine is perfect. never had MFT issues, no fit/finish issues, etc. it's solid, feels and drives great, I absolutely love it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I did observe quite a few build quality issues with some new 2012 Focuses I checked out on the dealer lot:

One car had a driver door that rubbed/stuck a bit when opened/closed
One car had weather stripping around the door that was falling out
One car had a piece of the shift knob that had come loose and was rattling

Considering that these are brand new cars, it's pretty surprising to find this many readily apparent defects. I can understand the concern regarding long term reliability.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, to be sure I was making the right decision, I rented one for an entire weekend from enterprise, and then two weeks later rented another for weekend from budget. And there were quality problems in both. In the first, the was no air out of the center right vent at all and one door was difficult to shut and open because the weather striping was installed poorly and hung up on the frame when you opened or closed the door. In the second, the center left vent didn't work at all. Both cars were SE, so no MFT. I went to a dealer and tested one with MFT, but only for a short time. The salesman had no clue how it worked.

So because of these problems, I decided to wait a couple of more months hoping that Ford would get their act together. And now my new SEL, built this past Monday, is sitting in a parking lot in Michigan waiting for the train to Boston. Wish me luck!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts