Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
"Because the new touchscreens will include new hardware, owners of the current Sync with MyFord Touch system will not be able to upgrade to Sync 3."

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Because the new touchscreens will include new hardware, owners of the current Sync with MyFord Touch system will not be able to upgrade to Sync 3."
Wondering about the few of us without MyFord Touch, but just the basic Sync system.

·
Registered
326 Posts
i could have sworn that one of the articles i read stated that sync 3 would actually first appear in a couple '15 models and then go wide in '16...that same article also mentioned compatibility with smartphone apps like apple's carplay, but i've not see either of these tidbits anywhere else

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Hi everyone,

Just want to jump on and confirm that we will continue to release updates to the current SYNC systems as needed. :)

Rebecca

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi everyone,

Just want to jump on and confirm that we will continue to release updates to the current SYNC systems as needed. :)

Rebecca
Thank you for that info.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Hi everyone,

Rebecca
OK, that's nice. But my non-MFT Focus purchased 12/11 is still on the original Sync software with no updates available. Sounds like an easy promise for Ford to keep.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, that's nice. But my non-MFT Focus purchased 12/11 is still on the original Sync software with no updates available. Sounds like an easy promise for Ford to keep.
Dan, my 2014, like yours doesn't have MFT and (according to syncmyride.com) is Gen1 - 4.2.1.F which it says is the latest (and perhaps the only one ever released for non-MFT?). Is yours at that release?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Dan, my 2014, like yours doesn't have MFT and (according to syncmyride.com) is Gen1 - 4.2.1.F which it says is the latest (and perhaps the only one ever released for non-MFT?). Is yours at that release?
My version of sync is 3.1.1 and there has NEVER been an update issued for my car even though it is clear a later version has been available (4.2.1.F). My car does not have applink just to give an example of how old my version is.

When I log on to syncmyride it says that my version of sync (3.1.1) is the latest that is available for my car.

Earlier this year, Ford released a press release advising that they planned on releasing sync with Applink to all sync-equipped cars going as far back as 2010. That has not happened. What gives?

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
My version of sync is 3.1.1 and there has NEVER been an update issued for my car even though it is clear a later version has been available (4.2.1.F). My car does not have applink just to give an example of how old my version is.

When I log on to syncmyride it says that my version of sync (3.1.1) is the latest that is available for my car.

Earlier this year, Ford released a press release advising that they planned on releasing sync with Applink to all sync-equipped cars going as far back as 2010. That has not happened. What gives?
Press release are just marketing gimmick... never ever trust them!

Probably engineer said after that to the PR people that's not possible to upgrade for some sync gen.

·
Registered
845 Posts
So basically if you already have a buggy version of Sync? Sorry, we got your money already. Going to start looking into an aftermarket touchscreen. Already found someone that will hook it up for me without all those annoying "Not while driving" notifications.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So basically if you already have a buggy version of Sync? Sorry, we got your money already. Going to start looking into an aftermarket touchscreen. Already found someone that will hook it up for me without all those annoying "Not while driving" notifications.
So an after market system will be better than Ford - Microsoft's? Does the after market have the resources to develop and implement a better system than Microsoft did for Ford?

I'm not saying they can't, I'm just wondering how and include all the functionality Ford specified. Likewise I wonder how they get around the legal "Not while driving" functionality Ford disabled. Seems like they are setting themselves for potentially major legal lawsuits.

I'm not implying Microsoft did a great job for Ford, just that software isn't as easy as most people think.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
So basically if you already have a buggy version of Sync? Sorry, we got your money already. Going to start looking into an aftermarket touchscreen.
Buggy? The hardware (APIM module) has an extended warranty.

·
Registered
845 Posts
So an after market system will be better than Ford - Microsoft's? Does the after market have the resources to develop and implement a better system than Microsoft did for Ford?

I'm not saying they can't, I'm just wondering how and include all the functionality Ford specified. Likewise I wonder how they get around the legal "Not while driving" functionality Ford disabled. Seems like they are setting themselves for potentially major legal lawsuits.

I'm not implying Microsoft did a great job for Ford, just that software isn't as easy as most people think.
The one thing holding me back now is being able to control it from the steering wheel and because everything's under warranty for a bit longer. Once that it is up, I'll be looking around. I think it's safe to say, it's not hard to be better than Microsofts sync. I'll be mostly looking at Android Auto.

They get around the "not while driving" because it's something the guy does in his garage for people he knows. A buddy of mine already has had it done.

Buggy? The hardware (APIM module) has an extended warranty.
Good for the hardware. The software is the buggy part though. Granted, the bugs have largely been ironed out, but not completely. And it's safe to say that I HIGHLY doubt Ford and Microsoft is going to be focusing on software that won't even be used going forward.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi everyone,

Rebecca
IMO, I think the non-MFT Sync system is LONG OVERDUE for an update. My last update was confirmed in June of 2013. It's still a bit buggy at times.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Hi everyone,

Rebecca
Does this mean more rapid phone support? My Sprint LG G2 is several firmware versions ahead than what's on the Ford site and I lose Sync functionality as a result (namely: texting).

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

IMO, I think the non-MFT Sync system is LONG OVERDUE for an update. My last update was confirmed in June of 2013. It's still a bit buggy at times.
I can check to see if there's an update available for you guys. Just shoot me your VINs and put "Check for Update" in the message or title.

Does this mean more rapid phone support? My Sprint LG G2 is several firmware versions ahead than what's on the Ford site and I lose Sync functionality as a result (namely: texting).
I apologize, but I can't speculate on that, rebelx.

Rebecca

·
Registered
416 Posts
I also read an article stating they were going to push the new update out to all existing platforms with MFT in 2015.

Maybe a Ford rep can confirm/deny?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts