Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Focus Mk3 Sub Box options. What do you think?

Hello Everyone,

My name is Chris and I am the General Manager with Q Logic Enclosures. We are a car audio enclosure and kick panel manufacturer that has been around for almost 35 years. We are currently talking with the community about different product options that we are capable of producing if there are people interested.

The popularity of the new Mk3 focus has taken off(had a 2012 and loved it!) and we think there is a market for a factory style sub enclosure similar to the Sony option that come in some of the cars. As some one that has owned the Titanium focus with the sony system it is definitely impressive but I feel lacks some low end.

We have made this enclosure for the 2000-2007 Focus in the past and we are thinking about something similar for the Mk3(2011-Current) as well.

A few of my questions are:

1. What size woofers would you prefer and how many.(IE One 8", two 8", one 10")?

2. Would you prefer the driver side or passenger side like the factory enclosure?

3. Would you like an amp rack made for the opposite side?

If you are all familar with any other options out there for this car please let me know. Our main goal is to be able to listen to the owners of this vehicle and do what they want not necessarily what we think is best.

I hope to hear more from you soon, and I really appreciate any ideas you could give us.

Thank you,

Chris Brinkley
General Manager
Q Logic Enclosures / Hooker Audio

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Hello Everyone,

My name is Chris and I am the General Manager with Q Logic Enclosures. We are a car audio enclosure and kick panel manufacturer that has been around for almost 35 years. We are currently talking with the community about different product options that we are capable of producing if there are people interested.

The popularity of the new Mk3 focus has taken off(had a 2012 and loved it!) and we think there is a market for a factory style sub enclosure similar to the Sony option that come in some of the cars. As some one that has owned the Titanium focus with the sony system it is definitely impressive but I feel lacks some low end.

We have made this enclosure for the 2000-2007 Focus in the past and we are thinking about something similar for the Mk3(2011-Current) as well.

1. What size woofers would you prefer and how many.(IE One 8", two 8", one 10")?

2. Would you prefer the driver side or passenger side like the factory enclosure?

If you are all familar with any other options out there for this car please let me know. Our main goal is to be able to listen to the owners of this vehicle and do what they want not necessarily what we think is best.

I hope to hear more from you soon, and I really appreciate any ideas you could give us.

Thank you,

Chris Brinkley
General Manager
Hi Chris,

1) Two 8's or a 10"(heck even a 12")

2) In your R&D, you should make both sides to see which one is sonically superior. Or, produce both sides at a slight rearward angle to prevent cancellations.

3) Amp racks are AWESOME

Thank you for inquiring about this. I am sure that others will chime in.

-Vince

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Chris,

1) Two 8's or a 10"(heck even a 12")

2) In your R&D, you should make both sides to see which one is sonically superior. Or, produce both sides at a slight rearward angle to prevent cancellations.

3) Amp racks are AWESOME

Thank you for inquiring about this. I am sure that others will chime in.

-Vince

I would like to do a 12" as well but airspace is hard to make it work. Fitting the woofer in there can be done but if it doesn't have the right airspace then it would sound worse than that 8 inch sub that the Sony system already has.

I like the amp rack idea too but let's see what others think.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One subwoofer on one side. A 12" if you have the room (1cuft net min). Don't care which side, but an amp rack on the opposite side would be dope. Kicker already kicked this idea around, but ultimately pulled the ripcord on it. I got the prototype.
As I said, getting that much airspace would be difficult but maybe it is possible. The main reason I even said two 8" speakers is because the surface area would surpass a single 12" and the amount of airspace needed would be much easier to achieve.

Hmm I may give a call to Kicker tomorrow, we are right down the street.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
I would like to do a 12" as well but airspace is hard to make it work. Fitting the woofer in there can be done but if it doesn't have the right airspace then it would sound worse than that 8 inch sub that the Sony system already has.

I like the amp rack idea too but let's see what others think.
Well if you did one for each side loaded with a couple of FaitalPRO W10N8-700's

You would never want anything else LOL

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
As I said, getting that much airspace would be difficult but maybe it is possible. The main reason I even said two 8" speakers is because the surface area would surpass a single 12" and the amount of airspace needed would be much easier to achieve.
Understood on the airspace. I have no idea how much would be possible without making the enclosure cumbersome. But two 8" do not surpass the cone area of a single 12". Take the Alpine Type-R for example. Cone area of an 8" is 201cm^2, but the 12" is 479cm^2. Same reason one 8" pipe can flow more water than two 4" pipes.

Were you thinking one 8 on each side of the trunk? If so, that's a no go IMO. Or some sort of dual 8" enclosure?

And just so we're on the same page, the system Kicker was going after was going to be a part of their Factory Fit lineup. So that enclosure comes preloaded, powered, and includes all the factory spec OEM wiring to install. The package can also include an optional factory spec OEM amplifier for the door speakers that bolts up under the dash. All certified by Ford and available from any dealer.
http://www.kicker.com/content/VSS_Ford

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Understood on the airspace. I have no idea how much would be possible without making the enclosure cumbersome. But two 8" do not surpass the cone area of a single 12". Take the Alpine Type-R for example. Cone area of an 8" is 201cm^2, but the 12" is 479cm^2. Same reason one 8" pipe can flow more water than two 4" pipes.

Were you thinking one 8 on each side of the trunk? If so, that's a no go IMO. Or some sort of dual 8" enclosure?

And just so we're on the same page, the system Kicker was going after was going to be a part of their Factory Fit lineup. So that enclosure comes preloaded, powered, and includes all the factory spec OEM wiring to install. The package can also include an optional factory spec OEM amplifier for the door speakers that bolts up under the dash. All certified by Ford and available from any dealer.
http://www.kicker.com/content/VSS_Ford
You are correct I mis-spoke about surface area, really what I should of said was that the two 8" speakers would give you more volume than a single 12" mostly because of the airspace constraints.

I am guessing that .85 cu ft would be about as big as we could do without taking too much trunk space and that just isn't large enough for most 12" woofers. a Rockford P1 or P2 8 inch woofer has a minimum of .28 cu ft each so that would be plenty of space and would so much better, and be more efficient. Most 8 inch woofers are around the same as Rockford.

Now saying all that yes we would plan to do two 8" on one side similar to our Toyota Tundra box:

Our box whether it is a single 8", dual 8", single 10", or any other configuration would not have an amplifier built in to give the owner more options for what they want to purchase instead of being forced into a brand they may not care for.

I want to make sure though and clarify that we are not forcing the issue of a particular woofer configuration I am merely giving suggestions on what I believe will work. I want to hear all of your opinions as well.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I agree with 12" sub on either side and the opposite side having an amp rack would be nice to keep things clean

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Ahh nice. My vote still goes to one 10 or 12. If it does come out to 0.85cuft of space, there's still 12"s that would do alright. Kicker CompRT has a minimum spec of 0.55cuft for example. Even the Type-R would do ok in 0.85cuft. It's always been a small box wonder.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! This should also be added to the focus st forum as well. A lot of us st people would be interested. I would have never seen this without tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am actually on the forum right now looking for ideas on how to mount a pair of amps. I want to mount them on the side wall of the hatch, so that I can retain some usage of the cargo space. My sub box will be easily removable, so this way if I need the cargo space, I can quickly remove the sub and since the amps are on the side, I can still fold down the seats and have near full usage of the cargo space. So I'd be super interested in an aftermarket amp rack. Basically a sturdy false wall that I can drill into to mount the amps would be an acceptable solution. Please let me know if you need a dummy for a prototype - I'm approaching the install soon. I have a 2013 Focus SE.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have one of your boxes for my 2003 svt focus and love it. It's perfect.
I wish you would have some more produced, as I plan to get another svt focus but in a 4 door instead.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Thank you,

Chris Brinkley
General Manager
Chris I had one of your enclosures in my f150 and was wondering if you would be be making one for the MK2 generation Focus (2008-2010)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts