Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size turbo are you running, and how much power are you pushing?

Also is anyone running E85?

Is 400whp possible on stock internals?

This is my plan before spring,
SVTF W/
Garret gt35r turbo
top mount ramhorn style manifold
precision intercooler
Larger MAF/ injectors
3" dp w/ 3" exhaust all the way back
E85 with a good tune hoping for 400 hp

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont want to have traction problems off the line

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
I Have a Comp turbo that Tom will sell with one of his kits and put down 326 at 20psi. I have a built motor and Jay Racing Intake manifold. I don't think I would want any larger turbo, it just won't be as fun in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Listen to these guys, they know what they're talking bout.
Rich

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
X2 ^^

·
Registered
708 Posts
The garrett GT28RS (2860 aka Disco Potato) would be a very wise choice.

It spools right on time and provides a lot of power. In my opinion, one of the best turbos for a 2.0L daily driver.

·
FF Affiliate
31,102 Posts
My opinion is the gt28rs is pure junk a 20 year old turbo they added ball bearings to and a stupid name , for suckers to buy

There are some better turbos out there for less money that spool about the same that are not even ball bearing and will make the same peek power

Tom

·
Registered
76 Posts
What about all the math, like on the turbogarrett.com. I too am questioning the turbo+e85, but mainly just curious. I've read you'll need 30% more ethanol than regular gas, how the heck would you figure afr, boost, fuel preasure, and compression to accomodate ethanol and tunning it on a focus to be effecient/ effective. What could you use to even tune that high over factory ( in like a piggy-back style) or would you have to go stand alone. I know there are alot of bias opinions and facts, but I'm not saying either or, but how? Don't want to get a ethanol vs. gas war started, just that most know that ethanol is added to regular gas, like 10%, but what if it goes to a higher % or even replaces regular gas in the future. Shouldn't we be looking into it, or maybe atleast researching it?
I'm not preaching we should drop gas and start buying the stuff, but alot of cars are turning up at the local tracks (dragways and autocross) running on ethanol and doing real good too I might add. Found this on the web about e85 and thought it was also interesting.....
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/video_player.shtml?vid=190247

Also, I havn't seen a flex fuel focus on any of the lists of flex fuel vehicles, but have heard in brazil they do have them. Would the part numbers be different because their in another country, even if its the same exact part that are on a non flex fuel vehicle?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
up here peoplehave been using e85 as a replacement for running race gas, they say its like running 105 octane for 40% less then regular unleaded. I have yet to see a turbo focus using it but then again there arent to many modded focus's up here. I have been into hondas for years and alot of us honda guys have been making 500+ hp on E85 safely w/ conservitive tune. thats with a 2.0 and around 30psi 8-8.5:1 comp ratio with the gt35r turbo. to run e85 in the hondas all i had to do was upgrade fuel pump and injectors to allow more fuel and a good dyno tune.

I think i can hit 400 hp dd with stock internals with this setup on e85. if not ill build the motor and shoot for more as far as engine management im still undecided which route to go

I guess my biggest question is, Is anyone running e85 in there turbo focus?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I wish Tom would get on this!!! Thanks jrscteg, but curious on the tune, what type of tune did you do a electronic tunner? I might be considering to atempt this on a focus, but would be doing it slowly. I'm looking into retiring the ole fox body and getting a 2000 to 2003 zx3 right after X-mas, but first I'm doing alittle research on them and thats why I'm here.

·
Registered
708 Posts
If you look at the compressor map for the GT28RS, it's got some pretty high efficiency across the board. It's definitely not a junk turbocharger. It's a great turbo for a 2.0L application.

For later spooling more power I would go with something bigger. But on an SVT engine (stock) trying to get 300-340hp, the GT28 is a great choice.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wish Tom would get on this!!! Thanks jrscteg, but curious on the tune, what type of tune did you do a electronic tunner? I might be considering to atempt this on a focus, but would be doing it slowly. I'm looking into retiring the ole fox body and getting a 2000 to 2003 zx3 right after X-mas, but first I'm doing alittle research on them and thats why I'm here.
Im picking up an svtf this saturday!!! Woot

the tune was dyno tuned correcting the a/f ratio by lap top from idle to redline.

Ive seen people gain 40+hp with E85 and a good tune alone so i dont think 400 is out of the question...

The gt28 is imo a very nice turbo, but if i end up building my motor i dont think it will produce the power i want.

Im not saying anyone on here is wrong, obviosly you guys know a little more about the focus's than i do. Just wondering really if anyone has hit the 400 mark on stock internals and or is anyone running E85?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
there are alot of high hp turbo hondas around my neck of the woods that need to be spanked up by a FOCUS!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would say that an svt would have a better chance, but I wouldn't want to push stock parts that hard from previous builds, they won't last if its possible! Lucky dog, I'll just be happy with a zx3, seen one on here that's nice, but its in PA, alittle far for me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I beleive the rods are, but I'm thinking the piston are not

·
FF Affiliate
31,102 Posts
I have said my piece about the gt turbos and how I feel about them , there are many turbos out there better the decision is yours

As for e85 it has its place , they are trying to pass it off as a cheaper fuel yet you need 30% more of it to run the same engine as for using it vs regular fuel to help cut back on demand BS

Yes it is a higher octane but the tuning for it is very aggressive , a gain of 40HP no I havent seen that yet on the dyno with my testing , it is a fuel used more up north because it wont freeze and they dont have to use heaters on the holding tanks , big down side is if you tune for e85 you can not run 91/93 on that tune so your stuck having to stay with e85 of have 2 tunes , I dont think e85 will ever take off where it is everywhere or a dependable fuel

Tom

1 - 20 of 43 Posts