Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, well i just picked up my first focus, and so far i LOVE it. But one thing i was wondering is, what is the difference between the pzev 2L duratec, and the regular duratec? o and just another question is, does anyone know if anyone is working on a supercharger kit for the duratec. thank you for your time.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
sorry, powerworks did a prototype supercharger but has no plans on putting it into production. nobody is even considering making a supercharger.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright, well i get it that no one wants to make a supercharger. and yes i know pzev stands for partial zero emissions vehicle. but what is the difference between it and the regular duratech?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
no, not necessarily. there are 2.0 pzev's

·
Scuba Edition
1,694 Posts
The PZEV engines don't produce as much power as the non-PZEV engines.

I think its about a 5hp and a 5tq difference.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
the pzev is the more "economical" focus. it gets better gas mileage, puts out less pollutants, and like stated, puts out somewhere around 5 hp less than the duratec. If i am not mistaken.. having a pzev car is good as far as taxes go.. might be some kind of return for having an economicaly recognized car.

·
Registered
111 Posts
my pzev kicks ass though and no tax break here............148 horses at 152 lbs of torque the st has 151 horses at 154 lbs torque

·
Registered
20 Posts
The 2.3 and the 2.0 Duratech eng are shared by both the focus and the Mazda 3, so when Mazda went to the 2.0L after 05 Ford followed, as for the # of the eng TQ and HP I have no Idea what the 2.0 puts out. I just remember that For and mazda Loved the Duratech eng, and they were changeing from the 2.3 to the 2.0 so they followed.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
The PZEV motor has A.I.R. and a big freaking fat catalytic converter in the exhaust manifold. That's the biggest difference I can think of besides the power it robs. If you live in a CARB state, you might be able to locate an exhaust manifold from a standard D20 (2.0) from a junkyard or something, one of our vendors Focus Salvage could possibly have one. I'm not sure what else is different for the AIR, there must be an air pump somewhere in the front where you could remove that bracket and change out the belt. I really can't say since I haven't had the motors side by side. Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts