Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I searched for this, couldn't find a straight answer..

I heard the rumors, but I didn't think it was true.. the PZEV Foci are as fast as the SVTFs? If so, what's the deal? The SVTF can't weigh any more than the PZEV ZX3..

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
A PZEV with an intake can hang with a SVT in a straight line (without intake, it would get it a good run for the money). It will get left behind in the twisties unless its suspension is upgraded.

Don't forget, SVTs have leather, and often a lot of other options weighing it down. With the PZEV, you have the option of getting a stripper model to save weight.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The SVT has a good 20HP on the PZEV [at least I thought]. So if you figure every 50 lbs. is ~.5HP, that's still a lot of extra crap to load the SVT down with...

...not that I'm mad about being near the same league as the SVT for 3-6 grand less...

·
Gan-San!
2,769 Posts
interesting... perhaps it's just the gearing that's keeping us pacing with the Quick Foc's. All in all... I'm looking for an intake. Recommendations?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Andy Smith is running the Quarter in 15.3 with only a Marcy Motosports Intake I dont think stock svts are any quicker . I have a Marcy intake and love it ! I'm running 17-40s 205s that are 3.1 percent smaller than the stock 15s. this lowers the gearing a little. It also drops the car .54 inch. I would like to put on 215 45s but then I would want to change the gearing and lower the car so tires gearing change lowering- maybe 1200 bucks dont have much money and when I do might want to spend that on another toy! Anyway my car really howls I would defy any stock svt to stay with me when Idrop into 4rth @ 65 for passing and jam up to 90. Also svts are much heavier than regular zetec zx-3s at least acording to magazine tests like 180 lbs I think Pzevs must be about the same as zetecs with a lighter engine and heavier other stuff. I,m goining to get a custom catback and loose that heavy resonatator and hopefully pick up a few hp and go stalking svts.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
knightm3 said:
The SVT has a good 20HP on the PZEV [at least I thought]. So if you figure every 50 lbs. is ~.5HP, that's still a lot of extra crap to load the SVT down with...
True, the '03 PZEV claim from the Ford website was 148 HP @ 5500rpm / 152 ft-lb @ 4500 rpm; and now the '04 - which I frankly doubt is different in any way whatsoever - the claim is down to 144 HP @ 5750rpm / 149 ft-lb @ 4200rpm. I'll go with the '04 numbers.

The SVT makes 170 HP @ 7000rpm / 145 ft-lb @ 5500 rpm.

So, yeah, it's all of 20HP and then some. 26 if you believe the numbers above, and something like 22 HP at the wheels. Peak HP is not quite the whole story, however. I created a quick dyno chart on Excel using these numbers and fitting a curve. Turns out the PZEV runs *ahead* of the SVTF until about 5000 rpm. Which makes perfect sense - PZEV has more torque and gets it at a lower RPM too. Anybody with real dyno charts, jump in here please.

Finally, the PZEV can be significantly lighter than the SVTF, depending on equipment. All the SVT's I looked at had every option available, and the heated leather seats, sunroof, power-everything can add up to as much as 150lb.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'd really like to say something here, but I can tell I way out my league. It just doesn't seem to me that the PZEV, breathing as poorly as it does, could do anything to match the SVT, which has been acclaimed by editors and greasemonkeys alike for having one of the best-breathing engines around.

Anyway, that's my two cents.[xx(]

·
Registered
847 Posts
Hey, the ZETEC is old news, it's an old engine, not a bad engine, but engineering is on the Duratec's side. There is still a reason to buy an SVT, I just don't think the price difference is worth it for all the extras.

As far as being 'as fast' as an SVT? Egz is right on, and so is Soffiler. The numbers are all right there...

·
Registered
829 Posts
i gotta believe that with both vehicles stock the svt would win. it would be screaming more but it would win i think until i see otherwise. i am still waiting for the lousy magazines to test the pzev so we can stop all this speculation. the closest test i have seen came this month with the mazda 3. its about 500 lbs. heavier than a base zx3 so the 10 or 15 hp (160 vs. 145) is negated and that does 0 to 60 in 7.4 which is certainly svt territory. on a side note i tested my second tank for mileage today and got 27.7. [:)]

·
Registered
78 Posts
I dont think a stock pzev will beat a svt o-60. What I think is amazing is that a pzev with a few simple mods will. A dealer near me is selling o3s like mine for 7900! thats for a pzev with air single cd and 15 alloys. With 3 grand in mods you could put together a car that would beat a svt in any area except braking. That would probably take another grand. For What people have paid for svts I could build a car that would be in the fast and furius 4! Florecent lime green paint dark 18 r1ms w/ 35s n everthing. I would love to prove this so fellow pzev owners send your contributions to [email protected] kidding.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Ya.. you must be mistaken

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Stock the svt will win. If you slap an intake on the pzev will be keeping up, with an exhaust it would win. The torque coming out of this car is awesome.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry dont have a scanner and have v limeted computer skills. However Claremont Ford had an ad in the L A times on friday for new focus zx-3s for 7988. I assume that they were pzevs cause thats all you see sold here anymore The ad says air cd alloys. It also says two at this price. I paid 10.3 for this car but only because I wanted it last spring and didnt want to wait for a price drop. I have seen them for 8900 several times lately. I used to sell cars and learned the cheapest way to buy them is to get the times and the Orange county regester on friday morning and find these sale ads and get to the dealers @ opening with the ad in hand on friday morning-you will get a new car for like 5000 under list I have done this for 10 years and bought all my cars and all of my girlfriends cars and a few of my friends that are smart have learnedto do the same. But most of them are stupid and just walk into a dealer and get screwed. So if you want a great deal get up early on friday and scan the paper!

·
Registered
38 Posts
gonna have to find me a pzev around my area to run it with

·
Registered
613 Posts
interesting

I have read that with intake and exhaust and slicks the pzev has run high 14's, but I've also read it's a pain in the ass to do intake and exhaust on them, and unless you buy it and take it back to another state, all the mods would render it illegal for street use, I'm in Texas though, so the modding of vehicles down here isn't much of an issue....But it sucks they are only sold in a few states as of now....I wish my truck would have waited a another few months to die on me....

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mikey's not far off. The base model ZX3's are leaving for around 8 grand after rebates and incentives. Again, I'm in NY, which gets an addt'l $1300 Green State Discount.

Thanks to everyone for their input on this subject, and thanks to those who brought the hard numbers. I see where the advantage over the SVTF is now -- the torque curve, and the weight savings. I'm that much prouder to own a PZEV.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The PZEV from FC is runnin low 14's...like 14.3's or something...WITH JUST BOLT ONS and weight reduction. Of course the slicks too. But that is right in line with some Celica's and RSX's. What Ford needs to do, is put some sort of Variable Valve timing on ALL of their cars. Get into the new age of tuning. Even the PZEV is still light years behind some of the Honda's and Toyota's.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts