Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CFM sells an exhaust manifold gasket for the PZEV and Non-PZEV duratecs. Does anyone know the difference between the two gaskets? Mine is leaking.. should have replaced it when I put the turbo on..

·
Super Moderator
9,555 Posts
From what I see, it appears to be the same part number for the 2.3 no matter what the engine. Fel-Pro gasket #MS96663 is what it calls for. It's less than $14 too.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I see, it appears to be the same part number for the 2.3 no matter what the engine. Fel-Pro gasket #MS96663 is what it calls for. It's less than $14 too.
Good to know; another question: the turbo manifold I'm using is a cast iron unit for a Mazda 3. The two leaks I have are right at the rectangular cut outs on the back of the cylinder head. I was looking at the Mazda 3 gaskets and they seem to cover up the rectangular cutouts with more material. What do you think? I might just buy both and see

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The gasket for a PZEV is a special one, though I doubt you're running the air injection that NEEDS the right one to work.

Special one actually includes the air channel to the exh. pipes between it's outer portions - joins each pair of pipes.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The gasket for a PZEV is a special one, though I doubt you're running the air injection that NEEDS the right one to work.

Special one actually includes the air channel to the exh. pipes between it's outer portions - joins each pair of pipes.
Yeah, I just noticed that as I was shopping around. I ordered a non-PZEV gasket because I deleted and removed every PZEV component on my car haha The flange on the turbo manifold I'm using exposes some of the gasket.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cast-Iron-C...ake:Mazda|Model:3&hash=item4ae363c73a&vxp=mtr

The one above isn't the one I'm using but the flange is very similar. The PZEV gasket is allowing exhaust gases to escape through the channels for the egr. The non-pzev should help eliminate this problem

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Don't need or want the passages with the air injection removed.

I remember this one well, one member had a replacement head put on, and the shop told him the head was the wrong one because it didn't have the Air channels - they didn't know they were part of the gasket, not part of the head. That way the same head works, PZEV or not. (They'd put a std. gasket in, and the Air system didn't work - coded NFG)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts