Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I saw some discussion here a while ago regarding the proper oil filter for the PZEV, but now I can't find it again. Search engine didn't help ("PZEV AND oil AND filter" returned 0 hits, what the??). Can somebody help? Thanks!

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
FL-910 is listed in the owner's manual.

FL-400S, for the Ranger, is too long. Do not use.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maddogmil said:
whats the hold up for auto stores to get our oil filter??? stealerships rip u off !
I don't know why they aren't in stores yet. SOMEBODY is making them and putting the Motorcraft name on them for the factory and dealerships, after all.

I haven't reached my first oil change yet. So: Just what is the "stealership" asking for a filter?

Don't forget that you will get nothing but the factory-approved performance spec's with the dealership filter, NOT necessarily true for the one you get at (ugh) Autozone. Filters are made in different quality levels, this much is well-known.

I don't have a problem paying a couple bucks more for the Motorcraft filter at the dealer. A couple bucks is like cheap insurance that I have the exact filter Ford wants on the car.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I too had a problem trying to find a filter for my PZEV. Finally brought it to a dealer for its first oil change. Not the one I purchased the car from, (they didn't even have the filter in stock), but another dealer about 10 miles away. I think I will continue to use them in the future for all of my service needs. I agree with "Soffiler", having them do it & paying a few bucks more is like having cheap insurance. This way I have the "Officical" stamp in the log and all of the documentation that I hopefully will need if there is ever a problem. The days of working on your cars I believe is coming to end. With the "Stealerships" looking to void warranties for any indiscretion they can come up with, they have made it where you can only go to them for work/service. I guess that is why I keep my '89 Caprice Classic sedan around. For one it is mint w/ 110,000 miles on it, parts are cheap, I can still navigate around the engine bay with out tearing up my knuckles, and the best part is that I only paid $11.00 for it!! I believe I am still ahead of the game.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
A dealership cannot void your warrenty if you maintain records and reciepts of all the oil changes and services that you do. Period.

I do all my own oil changes, and its cheaper, and I know I'm using quality products and doing things right. I've heard of proplems with people taking cars to the dealership for simple stuff like an oilchange. They get so many, they don't care and want to get it done quickly. All my Focuses get Mobil-1, and I know the drain plug wasn't stripped or overtightened.

However, I have to order my filters from NY for my PZEV, since they aren't found anywhere down here.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree 100% with Egz. The Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act (Google it if you need more detail) ensures that you can do your own work, or have it done by an independent (non-dealer) service facility, without jeopardizing your warranty. I was just talking about getting my PARTS at the dealer so I know that I've got exactly what Ford wants in there. I guess you could extend that principle to the oil itself... hmmm... gotta think on that one. I was leaning toward Mobil-1 otherwise.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was just at Walmart a couple of days ago and the Motorcraft filters like FL-910 and FL-400s were $3.48. PepBoys was only slightly higher at $3.99. Either place is probably much cheaper than the dealer.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Toyota 3.0/3.5 V6 filters fit. Dodge 4cyl filters fit.
why are you going to confuse the situation by saying stuff about those filters.

the FL910 is listed in Ford's parts catalog for the focus, thats all it needs, it doesnt need a mopar or toyota filter.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I just look up my oil filter as a 2.3 duratec. The fact that it's PZEV shouldn't have any effect on that part.

·
Registered
359 Posts
why are you going to confuse the situation by saying stuff about those filters.

the FL910 is listed in Ford's parts catalog for the focus, thats all it needs, it doesnt need a mopar or toyota filter.

Thats the interweb for you.... end of story... USE FL-910 from Walmart or any Autopart store.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Whats wrong with the FL_400 filter i use it and have been since i got the car in 04 never had any problems.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Whats wrong with the FL_400 filter i use it and have been since i got the car in 04 never had any problems.
I know J Train, we proved on the other thread that an FL-400s filter can be used on the focus with no problem, as long as you add some proline, or whatever that additive is called, so that it will protect the engine once the longer filter is sheared off. No....just kidding.....the FL-400s should work just fine I have been using it on my Mazda6 for a few months now with no problems and it sounds like you are doing fine with it as well.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
holy thread revival?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts