Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it worth it to swap out the zetec for a pzev? I was looking at marcy's website and with the stuff they have planned it looks pretty good. It looks easier for the 2.3 to make power with few mods thean the zetec.

If you did the swap would it just be a engine and ecu swap?

thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well by the time you pay for a the engine and swap... you could have a turbo or maybe a small shot of nitrous or maybe a supercharger on your ztec. If i had the money i would get one of those venom??? ( might be wrong) nitrous system where it just replaces yout filter on your CAI and the injector just injects the nitrous right there .... more time to mix with the air = better atomization AKA more power. The nice thing about the venom system is that it monitors your Air to fuel ratio and will cut out before harming your engine.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Ok, first off, no the swap while sounding good would be costly. You would need so many parts that your head would explode.

Either build up your zetec or buy a focus with a 2.3 duratec engine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
yeah i might be mixed up but i think i saw that 5.0 kit too.... the one i saw was also a rear wheel conversion as well...i think it was something like a mere 50 or 60 thousand dollars. I beleive i would have gotten a cobra R and modded it out for that!

·
Registered
58 Posts
i would be interested to see after like 50k miles how the focus frame would hold up to that much hp/torque.

·
Registered
50 Posts
focaltech: according to what I've seen the Cammer engine itself costs $14995 so if you're not up to the task of switching engines yourself, the whole conversion would cost a lot more.

Anyway, I also looked into a pzev swap, but first of all the pzev engine seemed to have lots of extra crap that I didn't want (the crap that makes it a partial zero emissions engine..) . And the time and labour I'd have to spend on to switch would be greater than to make a turbo conversion, bore out my pistons, to get a total of 2.1 engine displacement (as recommended in fast ford latest issue, zetec turbocharging article).

An engine swap is not worth it unless you plan on putting something really big under your hood, and then you're going to have to pay for it anyway.

my .02 cents :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
yeah especally frame strengthening... u screw that up.... u are dead pretty much. i would just get like a new mach 1 if u are spending that much dough

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Ok, here is what you all are missing, there has been a V8 conversion out for a long time. Not the cammer one you are talking about.

The whole conversion costs $ 15-20k and includes a 302 crate motor manual trans, rear end and everything else. Plus its all installed for you. You deliver your car stock etc and get back a V8 rwd car.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
not worth it at all, first finding the pzev engine (unless you wanna pay dealer cost) is guna be hard and with that money you could have made the zetec a lot faster than the pzev.

·
Registered
50 Posts
focaltech said:
Ok, here is what you all are missing, there has been a V8 conversion out for a long time. Not the cammer one you are talking about.

The whole conversion costs $ 15-20k and includes a 302 crate motor manual trans, rear end and everything else. Plus its all installed for you. You deliver your car stock etc and get back a V8 rwd car.
Ah, I'd heard about it before I saw the cammer, but I didn't know what it costs, and since you mentioned 15k (and the cammer costs almost exactly 15k) I assumed you were talking about that one, I apologize [;)]

·
Registered
67 Posts
ok im just asking......... but if he did do the swap....... just cuz......... what would he need to do? is it a direct swap... or will he need new motor mounts, axles, ecu, etc......... what is required for the swap itself?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts