Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gan-San!
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would be involved to dump the 5 gear manual transmission and pick up a brand spank'n new 6 gear manual transmission off the SVTF line up?

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Why would you want to do this? I doubt you'll get much out of it, except a much lighter wallet. If it can be done it has to be a fair amount of work, and in the end you'll have a transmission with one extra forward gear - plus a flywheel/clutch combo that isn't exactly the popular girl at the party, unless you go aftermarket on those parts.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Aside from aesthetics, why would you want to trade the 5-speed for the 6? I think the PZEV's shifting-though-a-gallon-of-vaseline 5-speed is just about prefectly matched to the 2.3's torque curve. Is the Getrag from the SVT a more pleasant gearbox to use? Certainly. Though, if it's a performance boost that you're looking for, I'd start somewhere else.

As for your actual query:
I dunno.[;)]

·
Gan-San!
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ah, thank you all for your reply. I was just wondering. 6 gears sounds so much cooler than 5... but that's coming from a guy that thinks the only thing to have 6 is the Diablo and other such cars I have no business trying to get.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I should slap a 6spd in my zts that would be custom because they dont come with 6spd.
Build my own version of svt but a zts[:)~] That would be tight [thumb]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, turbo does no good at the crank. So get it to wheels with a good tranny.
Better off converting the whole darn car to V-8 rear wheel drive. The only sad thing about that would be to butcher a new car.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Okay, we can spend 5k converting to a transmission that is no better than the one he has now. Or he can spend 4k on a small boost turbo kit and 1k on his mtx and have a faster car with a stronger and more responsive transmission...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts