Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the powerworks kit on the car and fired it up today. It idled very choppy at first then settled down quite a bit, but every time I restart it it does the same thing again. Anyways I went to take it out on a test drive and it ran absolutely horribly.

1. My exhaust smelled like rotten eggs
2. The car sounded terrible
3. I got onto the road and the car would shutter and had no power felt like the car with no SC at all. When I hit the gas it would lag and jump and lag and jump. At one point my check engine light came on for a split second and went away.

I really need your help as I have no clue where to start this has been quite a frustrating experience as its taken me forever to get this thing on and now it doesn't run worth a crap.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it has the stock powerworks tune i had mark flash it himself

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Did you buy it used? It might be the blower itself or a mis placed vac line or something along those lined

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes it is used I don't believe its the blower itself if I had to guess I'd say its either a vaccum leak or one of the connecters is not wired properly. This is what I gathered from reading a ton of posts.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't believe it is a clogged cat since it ran perfectly well before the install.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
well now you have a whole lot more air going through the cat... your symptoms all sound like its a cat problem.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is true illinipo a friend said the same thing and this could be true we shall see it might be time to just do the svt header swap that I was going to put off till spring time.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
I was reading your thread on the other forum and yeah it looks like you should take a look at the wires going into the coilpack, and maybe try replacing your spark plugs and wires.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had this exact same problem when i had the PWSC installed, and it turns out it was the stock PW tune that was messing everything up.
DONT RUN THE CAR!!!!
I made the mistake of trying to run the car and ended up blowing my engine. The base of the problem is the fact that Powerworks did not tune it correctly and did not give the correct tuning instructions for when it is being installed. If at all possible dont run the car.
After I bought a new engine the charger was installed and i took it to a shop that specialized in costom tuning. This eliminated these problems. Trust me on this, I gaurantee that this is the problem.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I ran a diagnostics scan on it today and came up with 2 codes.

P0316 P Misfire detected in first 1000 revs
P0304 P Cylinder 4 Misfire detected

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I figured it might give me a place to start. I am going to triple check the coil pack, wires and spark plugs. The tune most likely does suck I just wanted to use it till I could get the car somewhere and have a custom tune done on it. As much as it is a poor quality tune it should at least be able to make the car function enough to drive it somewhere.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I think I may have found my problem today. I hooked up a vaccum guage to a line on the normal vaccum side of the supercharger and it read a steady 16 at idle which I believe is where its supposed to be. Then I hooked up a pressure guage to the nipple on the boost side of the supercharger where a boost gauge would normally be. That gauge read no boost whatsoever even under throttle. I then hooked up a vaccum gauge to the same nipple and it had the same vaccum readings as the normal vaccum side, so I am getting no boost out of the supercharger. I am just trying to figure out what may be causing it. I am thinking it could be that the boost dump valve is stuck open, or whatever controls it is telling it to stay open. Any input?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE: I solved my boosting problem and the supercharger builds boost and stays in vaccum exactly as it should however it is still running horribly it reads misfire in first 1000 revs, misfire cylinder 1, misfire cylinder 4, and random multiple cylinder misfire codes. I have about 10 days to get this thing running before I have to go back to school so any input would be really appreciated and I am willing to pay someone to come out here if they can fix my problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds like an ignition problem. Pull your plugs and double check the gap, check the wires too, are they stock? Check the plug and wires going into the coil pack, look for any evidence of strain on the wires.

You might try closing the gap a bit on your plugs. If this helps, then it's probably a wire or coil problem.

Gregg

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
misfiring 1 and 4 is probly the harness going into the coilpack fraying the wires or all the way broken

that or the coil itself is toast

1 - 20 of 25 Posts