Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my pw sc arrived an hour ago and i was looking through everything, there seems to be soo many pieces to the kit. I am going to be installing with my fiance's dad that's ASE certified, i shouldn't have any problems i hope, the instructions seem pretty clear with the pictures. How have others done with installing the pw?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Just take your time and follow the instructions step-by-step and you shouldn't have any issues.

If you you, PM me and I'll get you thru it.

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
It looks daunting, but really there isn't to much to worry about. Like COSDEV said, the instructions are your friend and are very accurate.

Have you sent your ECU in yet?

·
Registered
68 Posts
i have installed two now(my 03 svt and my wife's 03 svt) and the only thing that i found confusing at times is the directions cover both zetec and svt motors. just make sure you read the directions carefully and you'll have no problems. oh and use good drill bits when drilling the holes for the intercooler in the front reinforcement bar(behind bumpercover). those thing's are high-strength steel and will kill a drill bit in no time.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im sending my ecu tomorrow morning, by the fed ex package they sent me. Hopefully ill get it back Sat. Fed ex only delivers Sat. if its shipped overnight priority, and the way im sending it to them is set at regular overnight. I hope i dont have to wait till mon. to get it back

·
Registered
51 Posts
PW install

Congratulations on your acquisition!

My personal install goofs to avoid:

1) Consider dropping the motor out of the car. I know it is a pain, but depending on your clearance issue(s), this might speed the process (even with the added time involved) up considerably.

2) Be patient getting the alternator out of its bracket. It can get wedged in their pretty tightly, but will come out with the right persuasiveness.

3) Send in the ECU right away, as it might take 2 days and weekends don't count to return.

4) Be sure to put the provided gaskets on...My installer goofed this, and it caused much sorrow and heartache (oil cooler = no gasket, oil relocation plate = double gaskets).

5) Take deep breaths frequently and remember how fun this will be once complete.

6) Matt Dunlavey is your friend! Contact him at Powerworks with any issues. He's helped me more times than I can count, and is a tireless source of encouragement, problem solving, and genuine concern for customers.

Congratulations again, and post up your impressions once completed.

Take care, and best of luck!

-Chuck

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so i thought i might get finished tonight but that didn't happen, the weather has sucked here really bad. And i haven't been able to start until like 6pm becasue thats when my helper gets off work. I'll be able to start about 3 tomorrow afternoon and should get a good bit done. I'm starting the install process tomorrow, everything has been disconected and taken out. looks like my engine bay has blown apart, there is stuff everywhere. ;-)

·
Registered
456 Posts
<----- Matt Dunlavey

First time installs take 18-24hrs to realistically complete if you are handy with a wrench ... be patient, follow the instructions and all should go fine.

Make sure you plug your knock sensor connectors back together BEFORE you install the blower ... #1 commonly missed item and one of the hardest to fix once the blower is installed.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you have a pm Matt

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am ordering one this week from ZX3tuning, and will hopefully try and have it installed as soon as it arrives. If I get a garage to do my install, do you think that the install will be a lot faster if they have the right tools for doing stuff, and have a hoist? I would do the install myself, but I'd rather it done by a shop that deals with Turbo'ed and S/C'ed cars on a regular basis...

I think I may or may not have to contact your shop, or my mechanic will, if he isn't sure about stuff...

·
Registered
456 Posts
A hoist can make it a little faster, but unless they work on Foci a lot, it will still take some time.

Pulling the PS halfshaft for the install can free up a lot of room and help speed things up a bit.

No problem in contacting the PW hotlline or myself via the forums ...

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have a PM matt, or here is the same message, for anyone that has done this install before........I dont understand what im doing with the oil cooler thing, the black piece that attaches to the filter adapter that is now in the drivers wheel well area. Is that a new piece thats suppose to be in my kit? Or is it the thing on the back of the block near where i ran the lines from the filter adapter and is keeping me from getting that bracket with the pullies under the alternator flush? This is soo agravating, im almost done, and now i dont understand what this oil cooler thing is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Bryan. I just installed my PW kit last week. I'm not too sure what you are refering to. There is no oil cooler included in the kit, just the relocation kit although the instructions do mention that you can install one later. You should have the permacool filter adapter screwed on to where the oilfilter was, the remote oil filter mount in the passenger side wheelwell and two lines between them.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i downloaded the pdf file from the PW site and it shows it on step 14?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

this is what im talking about, the black oil cooler that attaches to the filter adapter, then the oil filter attches to that. Is this already on the svt engine, and i just need to move it to this location? i already have the filter adapter in its place with the lines flowing in the right direction.[paranoid]

·
Registered
456 Posts
SVTs have the oil cooler (already on the engine). Regular Zetecs do not have one.

The oil cooler needs to be moved from the engine location to the relocation bracket. The oil cooler water supply/return hoses will need to be modified per the instructions. Remove the oil cooler from the engine (including it's O-ring - sometimes will stick to the engine) and move it to the filter adapter as shown in the above left pic.

The hoses you show in the pic above on the right are the oil lines - not the oil cooler water hoses.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the oil cooler already on the engine is located right next to the old oil filter location correct? And after i remove the oil cooler from the engine, wont there be a hole where it was removed from? what do i plug that with? Thanks, sorry im far from a mechanic

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok im out to see if i can get this right, lol, thanks for helping me matt, i might have Q's later. See ya in a few hours. ;-)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Originally, your oil filter mounted on top of the oil cooler. The oil cooler was mounts to the oil filter pad.

Once you relocate the oil cooler, the oil relocation block goes onto the engine block in place of the oil cooler/filter - that is what the oil hoses connect to on the engine.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts