Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well ive been meaning to do it for a very long time now and i had time yesterday. yanked the doors off my manual bare bones zx3 and pulled the seats out. i notice the plug for the seats are different between svt and zx3 first so i just let them dangle for now. i then put on the power window, lock, mirror doors from the svt. the zx3 had manual mirrors, and windows but had power door locks. the harnesses for the doors plugged right in no problem but as i feared the windows dont work but the surprise is that the door locks dont work either and bigger surprise yet the power mirrors DO work! ill strait wire juice to the windows and locks if need be but i would rather not. is there a simple way to make a manual equipped car run power windows and is the power lock issue im having normal?

and as far as the seats go. i assume they need to be plugged in and at a glance it looks like the zx3 plug, although smaller, has the same "shape" i guess you could say. it might still plug into the seats but i have both ends of the svt harness in case they need splicing. i know the svt to zx3 swap has been done a million times and its my own fault i never really paid attention to how it was done but now that im doing it a few words of advice would be awesome!

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
upon searching it appears that all i need to make the doors work is a fuse or ten plugged in since apparently all cars are wired for power already. cool! but it worries me because the power door locks dont work when i already had them on my old doors and they worked before i yanked them.

appears that the plugs for the seats are direct plug and play after i take the svt seat plugs apart. ill try these things out but if anybody has any comment on the door lock thing that would be great. would it have to do with the door lock taking a different key from the ignition?

which is another great question! is it a serious pita to swap driver side door locks? if i could swap door locks with out having to bleed much in the process i would rather do that than have 2 separate keys.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Just some words of wisdom from someone who has done the swap:
I was in the same boat-manual windows and mirrors and I wanted to swap over to PM/PW.
The mechanicals were straight forward-although I swapped everything into the existing door rather than swap doors. The electrical-not so easy. Basically I took the donor wiring harness apart, unpinned the needed wiring from the door connector and re-pinned the recipient car's plug. I had to splice into a key on power source for the PW and PM since there was no easy way to re-wire things. The seats-just grab everything from the donor and you may have to do the same-remove donor wiring and splice it into the recipient. And door locks are a pretty straightforward swap.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this doesnt make sense. why do the power mirrors work with no modification when i had manual before? i had power locks before but now they dont work. im confused...

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
this doesnt make sense. why do the power mirrors work with no modification when i had manual before? i had power locks before but now they dont work. im confused...

Think about what you just said ...

There was power on the body side, this was used for the power locks.
Swap the door and nor the power is going to the mirrors.
This means the pin location changed. So I'd say it's a good bet the rest of the pins are moved too. This means a wire diagram for each is needed.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Think about what you just said ...

There was power on the body side, this was used for the power locks.
Swap the door and nor the power is going to the mirrors.
This means the pin location changed. So I'd say it's a good bet the rest of the pins are moved too. This means a wire diagram for each is needed.
x2

I'm looking at adding a few extras to my doors so I've grabbed a few door connecters from various cars to have some extra pins. didn't pay any attention to the years I pulled them from but upon de-pinning them there were different spots where pins were and were not compared to my 07.

grab a OEM electrical manual off of ebay, they aren't too bad in price.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh i see... interesting!

·
Registered
202 Posts
oh i see... interesting!
yeah fun stuff.. (not really but a new challenge for me)

for instance on my 07 2 door (power windows, door locks, mirrors) 18 of the 20 pins are used on the drivers side.

passenger side has more open spots

adding pins, moving them around prob isn't going to be the funnest job you'll end up doing. adding what you need to the body side of the connectors is going to be a pain IMHO since they are located in such cramped areas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts