Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the Ford Racing 9mm wires. I've never dealt with spark plugs before but I'm assuming all I do is one by one, unplug a wire and install the new ones. I don't have to change spark plugs do I? The car is a 2000 with 32,000 miles on it. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this or if there's a step I'm missing.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
NP.. just make sure you have them in the right order.. you know the longest one to the shortest one..

also when pushing them over the spark plugs,, youll here a series of clicks.. thats a good thing.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Its not a bad idea (although not necessary) to place a little dielectric grease around the plug end of the wire (just a small bead around the inside of the rubber socket hole). This will help seal it from moisture and eases future removal. Its inexpensive and available at parts stores.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Geezer makes a good point - most wires sets will come with a little squeeze pouch of the stuff. Use it, you will thank yourself in the long run. Trying to yank off a dried-out stuck on spark plug wire usually results in a broken one and a trip to the store for new wires.

·
Hawaii Five-O
1,257 Posts
I just wanted to put in my two cents here. Whether I had a problem with the spark generated through my stock wires, or I'm just misjudging the reaction to the new wires but my takeoff improved, and my shifting was smoother......Can anyone explain this? It's an ATX, and I still haven't put in the new double plats in. Wanna make sure the gaps are perfect.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
That lil packet of "stuff" is dielectric grease, use it when installing the plug wires, so in the future the boots come off the plugs without damage.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
yea we got that already! thanks guy ^ lol i love you focal hahaha im crazy for you and that old man in the cobra. why lord why am i a crazy guy. i love this whole site. and this owner of the site he is Awsome! (notice capitol A) the means ultra-(A) AWSOME! Wo0T!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Odubular- I put FRP Wires and autolite double plats on a few days ago and I also noticed a bit better throttle response, I figure it was me just thinking they did somthing.
I have an ATX aswell, but I didnt notice any better shifting..

-Shawn

·
Hawaii Five-O
1,257 Posts
Well, near the same time, about a day earlier I did an oil change after a drive home to North Carolina for the holidays....so probably, it could have been the result of the shifting due to an tune-up....ie: spark plugs, spark plug wires, and oil and oil filter change.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
focaltech said:
That lil packet of "stuff" is dielectric grease, use it when installing the plug wires, so in the future the boots come off the plugs without damage.
[hihi] Yes. Geezer and I both said this more than two months ago. Noobs sure know how to dig up the old stuff... I forgot completely about this thread.

·
Hawaii Five-O
1,257 Posts
Hey, I dug up this post to see if anyone had the same effect in performance when they applied the new 9mm wires to the list of modifications done. I made no comment about the little packets. I'd rather comment on an existing thread, then starting another thread where someone states "Use the Search Function"

I did. [;)] Sorry, but I hate the term "Noob". [:p] Atleast I did the right thing. [^]

·
Registered
793 Posts
Geezer said:
Its not a bad idea (although not necessary) to place a little dielectric grease around the plug end of the wire (just a small bead around the inside of the rubber socket hole). This will help seal it from moisture and eases future removal. Its inexpensive and available at parts stores.
That grease is BS, it hampers your spark output and messes with your idle. My FR plugs came with that grease stuff on them and after I installed them my idle was rough and my accelleration was crappy, I took it into ford and they couldent find anything wrong but told me to check and make sure there wasnt any of that grease on the plugs/wires. So I uninstalled them cleaned out all that dielectric grease and it fixed the problems. I wouldent ever use that crap

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
i save you guyz a bunch of fun when i use the "SEARCH BUTTON" sorry : ( lol
well i like to do some reasearch myself cause i feel like im awsome when i do. sooo, thats me kinda crazy you know that. MAKES ME FEEL SPECIAL. and special i am! : P w0oT!

·
Hawaii Five-O
1,257 Posts
Amen, Mike [:p]

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
EuroZX3Focus said:
That grease is BS, it hampers your spark output and messes with your idle. My FR plugs came with that grease stuff on them and after I installed them my idle was rough and my accelleration was crappy, I took it into ford and they couldent find anything wrong but told me to check and make sure there wasnt any of that grease on the plugs/wires. So I uninstalled them cleaned out all that dielectric grease and it fixed the problems. I wouldent ever use that crap
Your not very bright then. The grease conducts electricity.

Btw folks have been doing this for a very long time so because you had a problem where others do not, guess what its not everyone else.

Also, do not glom it on, its meant to make the 2 parts come apart easier in the future.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts