Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Putting 2.3 head on 2.0 block

13K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  fryemasterj 
#1 ·
What all is going to be required, if I decide to purchase a 2.3l factory or Massive head, on my 2.0l focus (07, duratec, mtx, 198k mi)?
Am I going to need to upgrade anything in the bottom end, or the top? Or would it be similar to a plug n play type? Looking for the cheapest motor upgrade for some gains, large or small. I can get a 2.3l head for about 400

«?·?·?·?·?»
-Sent from my Y07Zx3 using telepathy.

#2 ·
198k yea you could swap a 23 head on & of course you'll want to add a pr of cams. Have you shopped for a 23 motor or even a 25? I'd install a pr of cams no matter what you do. For you & what your working w/, I'd install a pr of cams in your 20.....like a stage 1 Crane/Crower....

#3 · (Edited)
What about a 2.0 ecoboost st motor? I can get a ready to drop crate motor for like 6k. But I'm on state prob so I'm pretty broke. and what do you mean pr of cams, just performance cams? You think the bottom end will be ok with 195k, with built top end?

Also, you have any thoughts on Vogtland German springs? 2" drop for like 170. Stock shocks until I can afford. I had Frpp springs on my black hatch 07 a stock shocks, but then again it had 100 miles on it during/after install

«?·?·?·?·?»

#16 ·
Like stated do a 2.5 bottom end , 2.3 head , cams , springs and cosi knock off , add a tune , headers ,3 inch Exh

Tom
Like stated do a 2.5 bottom end , 2.3 head , cams , springs and cosi knock off , add a tune , headers ,3 inch Exh

Tom
Does the Fswerks Racing Headers Work?

Tom
Will the Fswerks Racing Headers Work?

#9 ·
Hmm I see. Don't know too much about ecoboost, but could see the compatibility issues. I want a cheap swap, easy install (buy motor and ecu, drive it.) with the most significant gains. So: full 2.3, built 2.3 top/stock 2.5 bottom, build my 2.0 top(195k mi)
On a "so broke, which bank should I hit" budget, which of the (so far) 3 would be most practical for low$/good gain?

«?·?·?·?·?»

#13 ·
No, not to the car but to the engine assembly.

VCT needs to be deleted for example because the 2.5 has one and your car doesn't.

There are options & choices, read up on the swap in the swap section and in older threads here - there's even a build thread on a race car version in the Showroom.

Tundrafoci's thread in Engine & Trans Swap is a good one because some options are discussed there, not just a how I did it thread.

#14 ·
Quick question I am looking to put a 2.0 deratech block with 9 to one compression pistons and a 2.3 eco boost head . Stage one cams will the head be plug and play I understand I will have to flash the software to make the computer understand what is going on but I am curious in my harness for the 2.0 duratech will be compatible to the 2.3 EcoBoost head

#18 ·
Why wouldn’t you be able to put a 2.0 ecoboost head on a 2.0 duratec and tune it for the turbo? someone swapped a 2014 2.0 ecoboost into a 02 focus with original a duratec transmission and said it bolted right in. I’m just wondering how compatible they are since I can’t find much info anywhere else.

#21 ·
So..... i did a thing... didnt do a lot of math just guesstimation. But pulled a 2010 ford duratec 2.0l non turbo non DI or VVT. Newer engine is like a 14 i think. Its the 2.0l turbo DI VVT. I dont usually mess with ford so i wasnt sure how to get all the engine numbers. Well. Had to swap heads old head to new block. New block has dome pistons. Everything else is the same but oil pan and pick up tube. Now this was butt puckering cuz i had nothing to test this out before complete assembly. So just done some simple tests here and there. Spun it and no contact so far spun good and clean. Assembled and installed to vehicle and she runs. It shimmys a bit but i think its the tone wheel on the balancer. Ill finish that tomorrow and drive it. Hopefuly this just works out get a little more compression and run it. So far its good. Wish me luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.