Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Can I change the wheel bearing hubs on 2002 SVT to accept 15" rims?
What hubs will fit?

Thanks
Neither the wheel bearing nor the bub are the issue with fitting 15" rims. The problem is the radial distance to the caliper is too large.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Neither the wheel bearing nor the bub are the issue with fitting 15" rims. The problem is the radial distance to the caliper is too large.
^^^ This. There are special 15" rims that will fit, but the general 15" wheels will not clear the front calipers but fit over the rears just fine.

·
Got Bewst?
2,967 Posts
Why are you looking to go to 15" rims? Only reason I could think of was to get moar low but not sure of your reason...

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Why are you looking to go to 15" rims? Only reason I could think of was to get moar low but not sure of your reason...
Excellent rally tire selection for 15" wheels.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
The last things you want to do is use smaller wheels to get moar low because it will mess up your speedometer.

Plus smaller diameter wheels are better in snow when you have a taller side wall tire. And then there's ride quality and 15" wheel are more common and cheaper to buy.

·
Got Bewst?
2,967 Posts
The last things you want to do is use smaller wheels to get moar low because it will mess up your speedometer.

Plus smaller diameter wheels are better in snow when you have a taller side wall tire. And then there's ride quality and 15" wheel are more common and cheaper to buy.
Well, to get moar low with the smaller tires you (should) fix your speedo but that should be the last mod you do if you just cant get low enough other ways. Wouldnt recommend this to anyone except the people who want to sit like half an inch above the ground but cant afford the nice coilovers.

and I understand the cheaper tires, my old car (2000 pontiac grand prix) had 15" steelies and tires, cheap ones just ran me about $68 per tire and lasted around 24k miles. Pretty good for a $450 installed set of tires.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Actually, smaller wheels and tires are the best way to lower a car. Doesn't mess up the amount of travel, doesn't mess up geometry (roll center) and (often if not always) reduces unsprung, rotating weight. That is a win-win-win.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
A smaller wheel and tire combo would definately reduce the amount of travel per rotation.

The reference I believe was in regards to "suspension" travel. And in most cases smaller tires (circumference or overall diameter) are not used. Fore example 195/60-15, 205/50-16, and 205/45-17 are all pretty much the same overall diameter.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Actually, smaller wheels and tires are the best way to lower a car. Doesn't mess up the amount of travel, doesn't mess up geometry (roll center) and (often if not always) reduces unsprung, rotating weight. That is a win-win-win.

Why it does reduce ground clearance, it rarely if ever addresses the visual gap between the top of the tire and the fender lip. This one of the primary aesthetic issues people try to address when lowering.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
This is indeed the issue. There are a handful if 15" wheels that will clear (Team Dynamics as an example). However several people rallying Foci have been able to carefully grind the top if the caliper to get the stock 15" split spokes to clear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts