Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried starting the car as normal with push start, then leaving the keys out of the car and driving away?
I know the car will display that key is missing from car....but will it prevent you from leaving or will the car just turn off at some point?

·
Registered
232 Posts
The manual says the car will stay running as normal except for the message about "no keys in the car"'until it is shut off, then it will not restart (without the fob)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, as per normal for all push start's, however, if you've the start stop then when you leave the vehicle with the fob it will stop automatically and require a 'manual start', that's what it says on the display. Thus you will need to have the key fob present...
Chris

·
Registered
781 Posts
If you leave the vehicle with the fob and drive away you are fine until you stop the vehicle, then you will not be able to restart it. If you lock the doors you will lock yourself out as well. I have tested is with my Ti. The vehicle will not shut down on you after you drive away. And it displays an easily ignored message on the console screen.

So in theory someone could jump in your car, start it, and drive off if you were standing nearby with the fob. But they had better get where they are going before shutting it off or they will be stuck.

Increases your chances of theft? I guess so, but at least you'd be close enough to have a good look at the thief.

·
Sonic Crew #04
7,513 Posts
if you are close enough to the car for it to start you will be close enough that they could rob you and steal the fob.

·
Registered
533 Posts
If you leave the vehicle with the fob and drive away you are fine until you stop the vehicle, then you will not be able to restart it. If you lock the doors you will lock yourself out as well. I have tested is with my Ti. The vehicle will not shut down on you after you drive away. And it displays an easily ignored message on the console screen.

So in theory someone could jump in your car, start it, and drive off if you were standing nearby with the fob. But they had better get where they are going before shutting it off or they will be stuck.

Increases your chances of theft? I guess so, but at least you'd be close enough to have a good look at the thief.
Hi, I think if you worry about everything then you wouldn't leave your house. If you left your car running with the keys in it then your car would be gone, probably for ever, and without a legit insurance claim. At least with the push start you haver a greater chance of getting it back.
Chris

·
Registered
548 Posts
if you are close enough to the car for it to start you will be close enough that they could rob you and steal the fob.
At this point it doesn't matter what kind of ignition you have if they mug you first. They could steal a key or the fob.

Atleast with a carjacking and push start they can joy ride it once then it can be recovered, with a key in ignition they can take it anywhere, including your house since they'll have your key set and insurance info. Or they could dump it in a river, or a chop shop.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Sonic Crew #04
7,513 Posts
At this point it doesn't matter what kind of ignition you have if they mug you first. They could steal a key or the fob.

Atleast with a carjacking and push start they can joy ride it once then it can be recovered, with a key in ignition they can take it anywhere, including your house since they'll have your key set and insurance info. Or they could dump it in a river, or a chop shop.

Posted via FF Mobile
Right, but for them to joy ride you would have to be so close to the car that them robbing you is just as likely. Ill test the range later, but it is a really short distance, 3 feet or so, I know when i was sitting in the drivers seat the hatch would stay locked because the fob was too far away.

So you would have to be standing right there and they would have to run up and jump in, it just is not likely.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Right, but for them to joy ride you would have to be so close to the car that them robbing you is just as likely. Ill test the range later, but it is a really short distance, 3 feet or so, I know when i was sitting in the drivers seat the hatch would stay locked because the fob was too far away.

So you would have to be standing right there and they would have to run up and jump in, it just is not likely.
Did you have the car on or off? Also was it in park? I noticed the other day when my girlfriend was trying to open the hatch that the car had to be in park for it to open if the car is on.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I thought this was going to be a thread about the old way to start a manual tranny car by getting it rolling and popping the clutch.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I thought this was going to be a thread about the old way to start a manual tranny car by getting it rolling and popping the clutch.
That's exactly what I thought at first too. [target]

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, what, we've got tranny cars now as well? [shameful]
Chris

·
Registered
7 Posts

Car will not start without key fob being in the car. I sat key fob on the ground right outside the drivers door. Drivers door was open and car said key fob not detected and would not start.

·
Registered
781 Posts
hmm. mine starts with it outside the vehicle just fine. must be sunspots.

i hope you realize i was being sarcastic when i said someone was going to steal your car and drive off with you standing outside of it. but then again an angry spouse might count as a thief. as for a thief stealing the keys, only if you hand them over. not to criticize the focus, but i'm sure car thieves have much more ambitious targets on their radar.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The joy of owning a manual transmission car.. is most casual thieves can't DRIVE a manual. One famous true story is the carjackers grabbed the owner right out of the drivers' seat, stuffed him into the trunk. Then tried to drive away. NOT HAPPEN. It was a manual transmission car, and they did not have the first clue how to drive it. All the commotion they were making with grinding gears etc, got them caught too.
So glad i drive a stick.

·
Registered
882 Posts

This is not right at all.

There's a *LOT* of misconception about the IA system. Allow me to break down the simple points for you (and this affects just about any IA-type system).

There are 2 different sensor systems in the car (3, technically, but the third is purely about sensing your hands): Internal and External. Internal is very cut and dry: If the fob is inside of the car (ANYWHERE within the car), it will work. External is basically about 3ft from any door or the hatch.

They are *different*. You can't sit 3ft from the door (outside) and start the car. Even with the door open...if the fob isn't technically inside of the car (or darn close to it) it won't turn on. Want to test it? Put the windows down, then lean in the drivers window (without actually touching the body of the car) and hit the button. The car won't start.

But throw the fob somewhere in the car. The car will start, and all doors (and the hatch) can be opened. Even with the car running, if the fob is in the car, the hatch/doors can be opened. I just did it tonight.

·
Sonic Crew #04
7,513 Posts
This is not right at all.

There's a *LOT* of misconception about the IA system. Allow me to break down the simple points for you (and this affects just about any IA-type system).

There are 2 different sensor systems in the car (3, technically, but the third is purely about sensing your hands): Internal and External. Internal is very cut and dry: If the fob is inside of the car (ANYWHERE within the car), it will work. External is basically about 3ft from any door or the hatch.

They are *different*. You can't sit 3ft from the door (outside) and start the car. Even with the door open...if the fob isn't technically inside of the car (or darn close to it) it won't turn on. Want to test it? Put the windows down, then lean in the drivers window (without actually touching the body of the car) and hit the button. The car won't start.

But throw the fob somewhere in the car. The car will start, and all doors (and the hatch) can be opened. Even with the car running, if the fob is in the car, the hatch/doors can be opened. I just did it tonight.
But you have to have foot on the brake to start the car, so leaning in wont start the car anyway. Not disagreeing with the fact that it wont start from outside, which makes sense and really makes this whole thread void.

·
Registered
781 Posts
test it all you want. my fob just outside my car, will allow the vehicle to start. i have tested it several times. me standing outside the closed driver's door with fob in pocket. another person inside car. foot on brake pedal, push start button, car starts. the sensors are good, but not great. "close enough" is good enough.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts