Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to throw up a quick post to sortof walk through how I installed a push button start on my 07 ZX3. It was so easy...

This is the kit I used, got it cheap on e-bay:
$20 Push Button Start Kit

I used the cigarette lighter hole for the button. I had to dremel about 1mm off the inside of the cigarette lighter hole... there was a little nub in there that the lighter locked into... that had to come off... not hard.

Then, I simply Zip tied the "relay box" that comes with the kit to a bracket under the dash... its tight. it comes with double sided tape but theres no way that would hold.

The wiring was intimidating at first. But once i figured it out it was SUPER easy. I used scotch locks to hook the wires up so the key'ed starter system still works.

In the kit I bought, there is a red, black and 2 blue wires coming from the relay box. The "instructions" (which are junk) say to hook the red to a switched power source, one blue wire to a switched ignition source (so the same spot as the red) the other blue to the starter lead (grey/black) and the black wire to a ground. Easy enough right!!

I decided to simplify things a bit and wired the red and one blue wire together right off the batt... they go to the same switched 12 volt source anyway so there's no problem just connnecting them together right where they exit the relay box. Then I started unraveling the wires from the ignition stalk under the dash. The black is obviously ground... I had to look up on the net what the starter wire was (grey with a black stripe... its a bigger wire) and... this was the odd part... Usually red is switched 12 volt... yellow is constant 12 volt (at least thats what all car stereos are) but under the dash yellow is SWITCHED 12 volt and red is CONSTANT... so make sure you use the YELLOW wire... otherwise the starter button LED's will always be on.

Once I scotch locked the 3 wires in place... the starter fired right up. This honestly took me 30 minutes... maybe 40 tops. I cleaned up and re-loomed all the wires, taped all the scotch locks and it looks totally factory.

Ill put up a pic of how it looks in my dash tonight. I didnt get pics of the install as I didnt think id want to do a write up on it. But it was so easy, and there was so little info on the net about how to do it... i thought this might be helpful.

To re-cap... black is ground, yellow is switched 12 volt, grey/black is starter wire... thats all you need.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only pic I can really get is the dash... everything is all put back together now... but I will get a pic tonight.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O.K., heres some pics of how the button looks. Its day time so you can see the blue light.

·
Registered
778 Posts
DANG... lol
i have been looking into this for a few mnths. but i was going with the full set up, not just the button. i want it when i walk up it reads the fob in my pocket & unlocks the doors. start & go with out puttin a key in. then when i get to my location i push again to turn off. as i walk away it rolls up windows & locks door.

great you tube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU9d2dUSNOU

http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/KEYLESS-IGNITION-AUTOMOTIVE-PG1.htm

looks to be from 300 to 550 in cost. like any other alarm but has the start to it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My mothers Edge has that... I also thought it would be sweet but its alot of money. For $20 I get to push a button... and I like buttons. I wasnt really ever thinking id do this. Then i was wandering around e-bay one day and came across the kit for $20 and though, why not... ill try it. For $20... its worth it. If it cost any more id say dont bother...

But now, one day when i sell the car I can list "push button start" cause apparently thats a big selling feature. Hehe.

·
Stuff about Florida
2,595 Posts
Install looks clean as hell man.

Thats awesome that it was so easy. So what exactly do you have to do when you get in the car now to start it? Do you have to insert the key at all or just press the button?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You do still need the key... all the button bypasses is the actual starter actuation. So, you put the key in, turn it to acc and push the button. Because I used scotch locks to connect it I CAN still start the car WITH the key... but I can use the button if I choose to. Its more for looks than anything really.

Another reason I like it is that I bought a flip key for this car and its just a cheap chinese key... it doesnt feel SUPER sturdy... I was worried that after years of starting the car the key will eventually wear out or break... using the push button to start the car i dont put any stress on the key and key fob at all... it should help it last.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For sure, theres no reason it wouldent. Youd still have to do use the clutch.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im sure you COULD... but they do sell them with different color and style buttons. The button connects to the control box with a wire and plug... its not just 3 basic wires. You could probably re-wire a new button though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There are some that have different button styles and different ring styles but they are basically the same. What kind of button do you want? Im sure you could make it work with a different button though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You could always just paint the one I got all black... its all about making it your own. For me, everything I have is blue and silver so my blue and silver button was perfect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can install a push button start into a stick shift, however if you want to do a remote start you'd probably have to install it yourself. It would require a clutch lockout bypass which makes most companies refuse to install it because you bypass a safety feature. I did it in a car once and it was pretty sweet except the one time I forgot to take it out of gear and my Jeep attacked the garage door.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts