Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Pulsstar spark plugs the truth revealed.

Tags
pulstar
3K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  badass3 
#1 ·
ok some people think pulstar pulse plugs are a load of crap and others think they are amazing, well i decided i'd test the theory. i bought the plain pulstars just because they were the cheapest. the other ones just are meant for longer life, so what i did was i did 3 dyno pulls at my buddies honda tuning shop(lol) and dyno'd 132whp and 126ftlbs of torque, not bad for just bolt ons ;) all three pulls were within .8 of each other. the highest being 132.8whp and 126.4ftlbs of torque. so we then put in the pulstar plugs,while still sitting on the dyno so nothing was changed or moved let the car cool down to the same operating temp it was when i did the initial 3 dynos. so we did three more pulls, and to my suprize, it dynoed 135whp and 128ftlbs so i do think the pulstars are worth it just make sure you buy them on the internet for 7.95 a plug and not 100 for four of them from autozone,
as far as feeling the difference, the only thing you feel different is smoother idle. but this was my discovery for the week. so you decide.

#4 ·
it makes since why they increase power slightly tho, burning more of the fuel in the cylinder creates higher combustion pressure which in turn moves the piston down faster increasing torque then the piston on the recieving end goes up faster increasing horsepower. in theory anyway but i mean like with anything, you can gain horsepower from moving a sensor or having the wind blow a different way, maybe like half a horse or 2 but i mean its so easy to find ways to squeeze out that extra power but it doesn't really add up.

#5 ·
I'll buy into they added power. But the big question is durability and longevity. If the plug only lasts for a few months or doesn't last longer than the MOT coppers, then you're just wasting money.

So run the plugs for a while and get back to us. No real sense in getting all excited just yet.

#6 ·
i don't really care about longevity if i have to spend 25 bucks every 3 months on plugs no big deal, i over change my oil too. so its fine i'm just looking for power, which in my mind makes me tihnk why did a buy a focus, then its like well at least the girls around here like it then i think well i dont have an interior [:)][:)][:)][:)], shoulda bought a roush mustang lol.

#7 ·
Well then, this thread is quite pointless. The worst part about a car is reoccurring costs, and to make 3 more HP is even more so IMO. Permanent solutions should be the goal. But isn't my money you're wasting so ...

I would like to see dyno charts though. Curious what the under the curve looks like, being peak doesn't mean shit anyways.

#9 ·
I bet if you spent 5 mins with a dremel tool to narrow the tip of an autolite ground electrode they would make 3 extra HP.....

I agree, peak is meaningless. How strong and broad is the torque curve, and what % of max torque do you have at max HP?

Better yet, what happens to your 1/4 mile times?

For road racing, there's probably more value in getting tire pressures and alignment correct than going for 3HP!

For day to day street driving I would just save my money and worry about cost of operation over time.

#10 ·
I have as much if not more experience with the Pulstar sparkplugs than anyone around here.

I used them and twice they failed. I believe that you gained 3hp. I know I gained at least that much. The car was a blast with them and I loved the idle and the sound.

They failed less than 6 months after installation. I was lucky, the center electrode fell off and didn't significantly damage my engine! They sent a new set for no charge so I gave them another go. I was in the middle of nowhere Arkansas driving home from FocusFest and another (Brand new!) plug failed. It just stopped sparking (Pulsing?) at 11:30pm. I had to bum a trailer from sldghmr for 30 miles to get to a wallmart to get a set of autolites.

I average 2 miles a day with my car. And never race it or anything.
I loved those damn plugs but a bad product is a bad product, what ever the gains.

#12 ·
You could take a healthy shit and free up that much horsepower.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.