Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
WRX/Focus:)
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have to pull my MTX75 out of my 03 zx3 with the 2.3l Duratec, mainly to replace the slave cylinder, but I'm going to take care of the clutch plate and pressure plate while I'm in there, and I hope the flywheel will still be good?

So could someone please run over with me how to pull it? Obviously put it up on jack stands and take the driver side knuckle apart and pull the axle, but what else? Anything unsuspecting with the wire's or shifter connections?

Thank you for any help you can offer me. I do appreciate it.

Djzx3

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
remove intake, battery box, loosen strut mounts

jack the car up
drain oil from trans
pull the wheels
remove the brakes
knock axle loose (or remove with the knuckle)
remove ball joint from knuckle
remove passengers carrier bearing bracket
remove passengers axle (just pulls out)
remove drivers axle (long punch threw the diff)
remove starter
disconnect shift linkage and electrical connections and clutch line(cap off)
remove dog bone
remove fans
support engine and trans (engine from top trans from bottom)
take off the drivers engine mount and tripod
start removing bolts from bell housing
once removed wiggle the trans around so it slides back enough to rotate the diff downwards then remove the trans.

replace parts reverse for install. bleed the clutch once the bell housing is bolted back together. i put in a new slave in my trans swap, put everything together last thing i did was bleed the clutch, was going fine then heard a pop and saw fluid running out of the bell housing the slaves seal blew on it (slave came with my SPEC clutch kit), so out everything came again. had the trans pulled 2 times in 3 days.

hope i didn't miss something lol. good luck

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
for the shifter stuff i found it easier just to leave them connected to that bracket and take the bracket off the trans, they can be stuck to the ball on the tower, i used body panel pliers on mine but they were new so came off easy.

·
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rep awarded man, And what about body panels? Does the whole front need to come off or the side fender, and is there anyway to do it without removing the passenger axle?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
passengers the easy axle. drivers the hard one. passengers just pulls out the drivers is held in by a c-clip and the easiest way is to use a punch threw the diff.

i did it one time pulling the fender liner, other time without didn't get in my way so its up to you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I replaced the clutch on my daughters car last weekend. What a job. Makes sure you have two people. I also removed the subframe and driver side strut for extra room. As an earlier poster recommended, the trick is to rotate the differential end so it is pointed down to remove. Took me two full days to do this project. Best of luck!

·
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, so far it is coming along, the pass side lower control arm came undone easily to my surprise, but the driver side one is going to need to come out with the lower control arm, and put into a vise, as far as top side, I got all the wires and coolant tubing out the way, so now I can see all the wiring to the trans, and the shifter connections.

BTW what is the trick with the shifting stuff?

·
slow
1,734 Posts
I recently did dropped and reinstalled the trans on my car to put in a new clutch, flywheel and LSD. I recommend dropping the subframe, especially if you're working by yourself. Putting the transmission back up will be much easier with this route.

For me the tripod to transmission bolts were torqued well in place, luckily air impact made quick work of them.

·
slow
1,734 Posts
^^This was done on my 2.3L car, so post up if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
WRC_Fan: What parts did you pick for your clutch, flywheel, and diff?

My Diff started to give out yesterday on my drive home. My 2007 2.3L ST has 88K on it and while I am in there I should be replace the clutch/flywheel with an upgrade and the differential to.

I am a little worried that the way the differential was failing (slow grind of death), that when I break open the trans I am going to find a big mess, and a even bigger mess of parts that need to be replaced. I am thinking about buying a low mileage trans to replace it with, would that be a good idea? Or should I drop it and crack it open first before I start counting the $$$$.

·
slow
1,734 Posts
WRC_Fan: What parts did you pick for your clutch, flywheel, and diff?
I replaced my clutch and flywheel with CFM's branded stage 1 replacement (rebadged clutchmasters parts).
http://focus.c-f-m.com/cfmheavydutyclutchkitwithaluminumflywheelforfocusduratec2023.aspx

For the diff I went with a Kaaz, which is an expensive rare piece, and I would not recommend it for a daily driver due to its maintance needs.

If you feel the differential is the issue on your car, I would say there is no harm in cracking open the transmission and seeing what damage is done. But I think you would find the cost of a low miles replacement transmission much better than if you had to start replacing internals.

·
slow
1,734 Posts
That's tough to say, as I was really shopping for something that was a bit of an upgrade. The clutch does look very similar to the one I pulled out of my car.

Maybe shop around a bit and compare some differenent brands and see what is available?

·
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the limit for the clutch plate and pressure plate with slave cylinder is going to be at very most $300.00, any more then that and I won't have enough to replace the gaskets I got to replace and ball joints and stuff.

My part list so far is:
1 gasket for the coolant passage way thingy on the right side of head.
2 front lower ball joints
1 outer tie rod arm
2 sway bar end links for front.
2 hub axle nuts
And that's all I can think of right now, besides the clutch plate, pressure plate, and slave.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For the diff I went with a Kaaz, which is an expensive rare piece, and I would not recommend it for a daily driver due to its maintance needs.
I was looking at a Kaaz 1.5 LSD and was wondering exactly what you stated.

What other maintenance needs does it have other than an oil change every 5000 miles? Personally, the break-in process and changing the gear oil every 5k is not a big negative. I would do it for the traction performance gain.

How long would one last? I don't track my car but I am a "spirited driver". If it lasts as long as a clutch does and I am all in.

My number 2 pick would be a Ford performance Torsen.

·
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
slow
1,734 Posts
^^ Sorry I didn't directly respond to your question on the clutch. I don't have experience doing many clutch changes, I'm still running on the OE clutch with 120K miles on my '04 DD. Haven't ran any duralast parts either. I believe that exeddy and Luk are tow of the biggest clutch makers, so a replacement by them would probably be the best quality.

Reactions: Djzx3

·
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey does anyone know how many bolts/screws are on the starter? I think it's just the two at the wire connection end, but there seems to be two torque head screws on the side which the starter gear is in?

·
slow
1,734 Posts
3 bolts, one on the passenger side, two on the other. One of them is a combo bolt/stud which holds a bracket for a line.

·
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's what I was thinking, thanks.

Should be pulling her soon, just got to punch the driver side axle out, and get ready to disconnect the shift cables and drop her.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts