Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem in that my car tends to pull to the right side and also the right side has increased inner tire wear (I'm guessing these two problems might be connected). It has been in a body shop where it also got a realignment, but that did not fix this problem, so I'm looking for some suggestions.

Another thing that just came up is that when I just got good year f1s, I noticed somewhat increased vibrations ~60-70mph, but other than that they're fine... should I be woried or is that how the tires are supposted to be?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
you should be worried. i'd have your alignment double-checked, and the tires replaced. no tires should vibrate at that speed, especially brand-new. and since they are directional tires, make sure they're pointed in the right direction, if you haven't already done so.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Incorrect toe or bent steering components (doesn't take much) are what usually cause pull. Does it do it all the time or just on certain streets. The street itself can cause the pull problem but not necessarily the tire wear problem. You mentioned it was in the body shop. Was the car damaged? An alignment will not correct poor frame work.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe that it does it all the time and to drive straight the steering wheel has to be held a little to the left. For some reason it also vibrates and the vibrations get a little stronger at faster speeds 70+). It was in a body shop for some cosmetic repairs...
Do the specifications for normal focuses and svt focuses differ? Because I tend to distrust people to differentiate between the two.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The alignment spec differences between the SVT and ZX3 (I haven't seen specs for sedans but i doubt they vary much) are almost identical. Since the majority of alignment racks are fully computerized the tech simply enters the year and model and the manufacturers specs magically appear. They'd really have to screw up but I guess it's possible. The problem is that the min and max ranges are so broad that there's potential for every wheel to be pointed in a different direction. A good tech would balance at least the front and the rear. If in doubt, always ask if they can align the car in the middle of the allowable ranges. Sometimes this is not always possible (lowering springs minimize the amount the camber can be set, etc.)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alignment at firestone (BTW I followed WD40's recommendation about asking them to put the toe in the front as close as possible to -.10 and rear toe to 0):

Should I expect the car to behave as it did before the alignment when cornering? And they also said that the difference in camber is also contributing to the steer pull, but they can't correct it since I don't have a camber
kit...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts