Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the easiest and least time consuming way to pull the CV's out of the transmission? I was thinking undo the strut from the knuckle and pull them that way. I know they dont need to come all the way out.

Also what kind of grease should I use to repack them when I get everything back in?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Its easier to separate the ball joint from the steering knuckle and then pry the arm down and away from the knuckle to gain the necessary clearance the remove the axle.

A light coating of a penetrating oil will be enough lubrication to put them back in.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok sounds good. What grease should I use to repack the CVs is what I was asking. My post wasnt to clear.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Ah. If the boots aren't broken I wouldn't worry about it. However, if they are broken I would replace the whole axle as the joint has been compromised by dirt and moisture.

However if you are set on just re-packing the joints most autoparts stores sell CV grease in small to large buckets. There isn't any special grease. Just use the stuff that says its for CV joints.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh ok. I have no idea if they have ever been replaced before. The boots arent ripped at all.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Getting ready to put everything back together. How much grease should go into the CV. I remember about 3 ounces??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts