Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to make this intake switch a little easier had some questions i havnt yet figured out.

First time we took the intake off had to remove the fuel rail and what a mess. Then when installing the header we had to move the regulator off the firewall and again got fuel all over again.

So whats the best way to stop this? Other then not doing any work on the fuel rail.

I searched some past posts and one said pull the fuel pump switch and let it run till it dies. Ive read another one that said to flip the emergency fuel kill switch and let it die that way.

Ide just like to keep the fuel from getting all over if we decide to pull the fuel rail.

I forgot to do this when we did the header we already had stuff taken off when we went to remove the fuel rail by then it was to late. This time im sure we will so ide like to do it before hand.

I need to find a plug to put into the fuel line but never can find anything to "cork" it with when we need it.

·
FocusFest Event Team
2,362 Posts
not sure if it's possible, but what about disconnecting the fuel line from the rail and plug it. then just put a cup or something under the fuel rail to drain the remaining fuel into.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not sure if it's possible, but what about disconnecting the fuel line from the rail and plug it. then just put a cup or something under the fuel rail to drain the remaining fuel into.
Well thats what we did both times but its under pressure so it shoots fuel out as you pop the line from the rail. Also since it still has pressure it wants to continue to push any fuel in the line from the tank up to the engine.

·
Registered
582 Posts
i like to disconnect the fuel filter on most cars to depressurize the system but on the fo fo its such a pain to get to. by doing the safety switch and letting it die you should be clearing those lines and the rail almost dry. thats what it says to do in most service procedures.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i like to disconnect the fuel filter on most cars to depressurize the system but on the fo fo its such a pain to get to. by doing the safety switch and letting it die you should be clearing those lines and the rail almost dry. thats what it says to do in most service procedures.
ok cool, i havnt done it before so i wasnt sure. Ill do it that way then

Thanks!

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
1. take off the gas cap, pull the fuse and run it
2. take off the gas cap, and release the line pressure from the service valve on the rail. a rag and a pick will do it.

I always use 2 if i bother de pressurizing the system. you can usually just hold a rag around the line when its about to spray.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
On a Zetec, you can pull the fuel pump relay and let the system "run out of gas" by not pumping any additional fuel and letting the system depressurize that way. I'm not sure if you can do the same on a Duratec, since I've never messed with one.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well that didnt work. The fuel safty button is just a reset. I guess in a crash it pops up throwing a breaker or something and that button under the dash just resets it.

I pulled the fuse and it died rather quickly. It still had a little pressure in it, i didnt think about the gas cap though.

I didnt really need to take it off this time but i was ready just incase. I did how ever pop it off to reroute the line because we routed it different when doing the header and the cover didnt fit quite right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts