Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello I have a 2004 ford focus with 2.0 single port engine, with a 5 speed. My problem is the transmission. It started to be hard to shift in the gears when it was at normal operating temps. I changed the fluid but didn't help. Now it will only go from 1st to 2nd. Cannot get it to move over to get 3,4,5 or reverse. Not sure what the problem is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Shifter should have two cables, one for forward & reverse movement of the lever to engage gears, and one that corresponds to left & right movement of the lever to select gears.

Right now that second function sounds "stuck" in the 1st/2nd area.

Check at the shifter & trans for mechanism/cable troubles that are currently preventing gear selection.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Definitely sounds like your shifter cables.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Mine did that when the plastic retainers broke, right where they go into the bell housing. I've heard of quite a few others having the same issue.

Took off the airbox for access, snugged a zip tie over each cable to hold it in place...still working fine some 100k + later.
Total cost: $0.02
Total time: maybe 20 minutes max.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
puffy

Got a chance to look at the cables. One did in fact come out of its bracket at the transmission. Looks like a barrel that slides in the bracket. Put it back in tightened it down and put some zip ties around it to make sure it stays in. Thanks for all the help.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Hooray!

Tx for posting the resolution.

(Edited Title to reflect the problem)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts