Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, looking to upgrade my stereo. Here's my plan with a ~$200 budget, I'd like some of your thoughts on this. This is the headunit:

Soundstream AptiX VR-65XB DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com

and the power inverter:

https://www.amazon.com/Uinstone-Pow...ds=power+inverter&refinements=p_72:2661618011

Get the stereo in the car, hardwire the power inverter to the battery, run AV cables from an extra PS3 Slim I have laying around to the back of the headunit. PS3 under the passenger seat probably, and hopefully Murphys Law doesnt hate me. Thoughts?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Going to want to go with a larger power inverter at least, as even the PS3 super-slim model uses up to 190 watts of power with all of the larger models rated from 200 to 380 watts. The inverter you linked to is rated at 150 watts continuous.

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
Going to want to go with a larger power inverter at least, as even the PS3 super-slim model uses up to 190 watts of power with all of the larger models rated from 200 to 380 watts. The inverter you linked to is rated at 150 watts continuous.
where'd you get your info? I saw it only uses up to ~90 watts. Though I did a very short google search for it. Seems like the larger model uses up to 190 watts but reports show that the slim uses half that. Putting his inverter in the sweet spot IMO.

·
Registered
609 Posts

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
I think that is peak power rating which is still less than the peak of that inverter. Not that it really matters. 95 watts (CLICKY which coincides pretty well with the peak numbers given in the wiki) is less <66% of nominal power usage so not really pushing it at all. No need to spend more when not necessary.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow I appreciate the responses! Figures though, the day I get it in the mail my cig lighter outlet quit working. Not sure what to do there yet. I'm going to be wiring it directly to the battery, but not quite sure about that either. One of my issues is that for some reason when I'm driving my headlights will randomly dim slightly, then come back up. It happens more when I'm playing music, but will still do it with the radio off. I am running a 650w amp driving 2 10" subs. I tried HID's and the dimming problem increased exponentially. I was worried about the power draw of the inverter since my lights are already dimming. Just headlights though, dash lights and everything else stay perfect.

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
You need a beefier alternator methinks.
No, he needs to do the big 3 upgrade (power wire from bat->alt, ground wire from bat->chassis and engine->chassis.) in at least 2 gauge probably 0/1 gauge if he adds the inverter.

I was running north of 700Watt rms system w/ factory HIDs and never had a problem with dimming. If you go HIDs again you need to get a quality ballast, the cheap 30$ kits wont cut it.

after that he should be fine unless he starts to go over 900-1k watt rms. I'd be looking into alt upgrades then depending on how bad the voltage drop is.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
!!!update!!!

Ok guys got it running, posting here in case anyone else wants to give it a shot.

Items:

PS3 Slim with 240gb Solid State

Power Inverter 150w:
https://www.amazon.com/Uinstone-Pow...484879561&sr=8-8&keywords=power+inverter+150w

In-dash stereo:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_530VR65XB/Soundstream-AptiX-VR-65XB.html?tp=20217

Got it all up and running! I still need to hide cords and hardwire the inverter to the battery with a switch, but the inverter handles it all just fine with no noticeable difference in dimming lights or anything. Here's pics for yall!

And thank you for the "Big 3" idea, not sure how to do it though, ill have to poke around.

·
So mote be it
8,937 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If wiring it directly up, i would suggest an inline fuse just for added safety...believe the stock cigarette size is 15amp
That's a good idea. Should any of them work as long as the fuse is correct?

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
Yes any inline fuse should work. I'd use at least the fuse rating of the inverter's. Given no size use the 15amp fuse as rambleon84 said. Have you done the big 3?

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
making your own costs about 25$. Maybe cheaper. It will really help with your dimming.

WIRE you need quantity of 2

then pick up some ring terminals and heat shrink at a hardware store.

HOW-TO

I used that" how-to" to do mine. It was pretty easy to follow. I wouldn't use anything less than 4 guage OFC wire.

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
Ya you got it. Just need to find 4 guage OFC (oxygen free copper) wire. Don't get the CCA (copper clad aluminum) wire.

EDIT: CLICKY here is what you are looking for. They sell it by the foot so you'd need quantity of 7 i believe

1 - 20 of 27 Posts