Focus Fanatics Forum banner

PS Pump Going?

1084 Views 15 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  amc49
I'm fairly certain that my PS pump is starting to go. Just started making the whining noise on me. I didn't check the fluid level, but I did turn the steering wheel to each side about 5 times a piece to try to flush it.

What should I check before doing anything? And where wpuld be a good tutorial for doing it? The only challenge I would see is the belt, unless I know where everything is.

I also read on here that it takes tranny fluid? I didn't find the reference in my owner's manual.
PS Pump Going:

http://youtu.be/Uw4-3sA_ScI
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
19,376 Posts
FYI steering getting harder can also be belt tensioner messing up or belt slipping, may not show a light at all.

Generally if the pump is the cause you get noise at same time the steering gets hard.

· Registered
19,376 Posts
'... it may be best to just flush the fluid and see what happens...'

I'd go with that, good idea, new fluid sometimes shuts things up a bit, the viscosity additives are fresh and not wore out.

· Registered
19,376 Posts
You will NOT be getting rid of any whine caused by worn mechanical, change the fluid till doomsday...................once the pumping section is roughed or gouged up the noise will NEVER go away, only maybe lessen a bit when the roughness wears a bit smoother. Usually not though, chaosian theory says the damage usually increases, not gets better.

Instead of blindly changing pumps like most do, one should pull one or two apart to see what REALLY happens there. It becomes very obvious, the pump will always be torn up inside. The parts are matched once run and even putting it back together with say a couple of the vane inserts reversed end for end will whine one that was fine before.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.