Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So my power steering stopped working about two weeks ago and I finally got some time to take a look at it today. I got under the car and I noticed that the fluid pretty much just pours out now. It's coming from the spot right where the high pressure line (I think- the smaller/narrower one that joins the pump on the underside) meets the power steering pump.

So- if this is my problem, what needs to be replaced? Is it possible that just the fitting (it's an 18mm bolt i think, it's a total bitch to get to from under the car, i don't even think it's possible to remove it without taking out the whole pump) and some sort of seal is bad? If so, can I just replace that? Or do I need to do the whole HP line? Or the whole pump? Or both?

What do you guys think? What else should I be looking at to figure this problem out?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
i hope you didn't drive the car for 2 weeks with fluid pouring out. if the fluid was too low for too long you might be buying a new pump.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hey, this just happened to me a month ago... I drove it for ~2 weeks w/ no fluid, and the pump eventually died. So unless you want to replace the $100 pump too, you'd better not drive it too much more before you fix it!

I had the same exact problem though, pouring out under the pump where the pressure line fits in. Like BC_ZX3 said, it might just be the O-ring. Your best bet though is going to be taking out the line, inspecting both the line fitting, and the pump (all of which is going to be a PITA because of the header). If you plan on doing this yourself, and need any hints/help, let me know. It's still fresh in my mind since I replaced everything a week and a half ago =P

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've barely driven it... just moving it from one parking spot to another and then to the shop and back on Saturday to take a look at it.

I saw the previously posted link while I was at the shop but didn't have the time to pull the pump, it looked like kind of a bitch to do (I had a few other things I was doing). I saw the placement of the four 10mm bolts and decided I wouldn't have the time.

I want to DIY, but I might suck it up and take it to a shop, I don't know that I want to waste another week on this... (I can only use the shop on Saturdays). How long did it take you guys to pull the PS pump?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yeah.. those bolts are really the only bad part though. The other part of the line at the rack isn't too bad. Took a solid hour for those four bolts. Might have been easier if we had speed wrenches on us.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did it this morning... those bolts were a total bitch, I had to drop the A/C compressor to get enough room to get the bottom ones. I honestly have no idea how anyone can get at them without dropping the A/C compressor. My top left (pass side) one was seized to hell and back too. Other than those bolts, it wasn't too bad of a job... the line to the rack was a piece of cake (but a bit tight down there since I was coming in thru the wheel well, and the sway bar is in the way too).

Either way, there was a small crack in the HP line right below the fitting, so I found my leak point. I figured since I pulled the pump and I'm not sure of it's condition, I'm going to replace that too and avoid any potential headaches. Ordering that stuff up today.

Thanks a ton for the link, BC_ZX3, it was a huge help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts