Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you'd like to protect your bumpers, mirrors, door sills, etc from scratches, use this product to lay a protective film over your paint. It is completely clear when applied correctly, and provides medium protection from rocks, bugs, sand, and grime.

Step 1: Buy this. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CLEA...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aa9e84790

Step 2: measure and cut the vinyl sheet to fit your bumper, door sills, mirrors, front grill area, whatever you'd like to protect. The vinyl will roll over corners and won't peel if applied correctly. I don't recommend however that you try and lay it on complex curves and bends where wrinkles might appear over time.

Step 3: Wash your hands thoroughly to remove any oils on your fingertips, then clean the target surface with a non-alcohol based cleaner. Soap and water works just fine.

Step4: Mix a few drops of dish soap or baby shampoo in a spray bottle of water. Just a few drops will do.

Step 5: Spray the area you want to protect with the soap/water solution.

Step 6: Peel the vinyl backing away for a few inches and spray the sticky side with the soap and water solution. Continue to spray the sticky side as you peel away the backing until you have removed it completely (this is a very important step to reduce the chances of dust getting on the vinyl).

Step 7: place the vinyl onto the area you want to protect. It will be very easy to manipulate it in place due to the soap/water solution.

Step 8: hold one side of the vinyl in place and begin to gently squeegee the water out from under the vinyl, working from the center outwards to the edges. Do both sides, making sure to squeegee all the water out, not leaving any bubbles in the vinyl (this is a lot easier than it sounds). If there are tiny bubbles left, don't worry, they will work their way out over the next few days.

Step 9: Take a microfiber cloth and thoroughly wipe the vinyl using a small amount of pressure to get it to form to the ridges and valleys of the painted surface.

Step 10: Admire your work, you've just saved yourself several tens, if not hundreds of dollars in touch up paint and headaches over the life of the car.

Tips: If you notice any bubbles in the surface after a few days just prick the bubble with a pin and wipe it with the microfiber cloth. This will allow any air that is trapped behind the surface to escape and the vinyl will stick down flush to the surface.

Also, try not to stretch the vinyl when placing it. This causes wrinkles while drying.

If you mess up a piece, don't worry about it, just strip off the old piece, clean the area, and start over. Vinyl is cheap, so you can make a mistake or two without it costing you a fortune.

I've done my rear bumper (top), and all four door sills. I plan to do the front bumper, mirrors, and maybe a few other obvious places where scratches normally accumulate over time.

Have fun! It's a cheap way to protect your investment.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've read about the different brands used to do this & my only concern is that this stuff is cheap & might yellow down the road

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've read about the different brands used to do this & my only concern is that this stuff is cheap & might yellow down the road
The material is Avery brand automotive graphics grade vinyl. You can look on here to read more.

·
Registered
781 Posts
hmm. just ordered some. looking for something to protect the top of the rear bumper on my hatch, since that area can easily be scratched loading and unloading cargo... cheaper than the OEM protector and not as ugly as some of the 3rd party solutions i've seen.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm. just ordered some. looking for something to protect the top of the rear bumper on my hatch, since that area can easily be scratched loading and unloading cargo... cheaper than the OEM protector and not as ugly as some of the 3rd party solutions i've seen.
Very smart man... That's what I originally ordered mine for and it works very well. I've seen the Ford one, and it's slightly thicker and has a Focus logo printed on it, but it's not worth the money IMHO. You can get enough of this film for $20 to do both your bumpers and the door sills.

I would send some pics, but you can't even see the film once it's installed. You have to run your finger across it to feel the edges.

·
Registered
57 Posts
wow, that stuff is a joke..

2mil VINYL is not meant to protect your vehicle, it is primarily used for vehicle wraps and graphics (cosmetics). Do not order this stuff and expect it to stop rock chips or scratches

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know, there's an expert on everything here. It's funny, you try to be helpful and give people options and there's always someone out there who tries to shoot you down. That's really too bad.[rant]

I have the vinyl on my car and it works just fine for what I stated. I didn't tell you to put it on your rocker panels or that it would protect your car from hail stones the size of softballs... It works just fine for what it was intended, "medium protection" from scratches, scrapes and road grime.

Sure, there are other products out there that are thicker, and more expensive, but I have first-hand experience that says it'll protect your door sills from scratches from getting in and out of the car, and that it'll protect your bumper from the grime that gets there from just driving down the road.

Give it a try, or not. It's really the buyers choice. I certainly don't own any stock in Avery or Metro, so it doesn't benefit me in the least if you choose to try it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts