Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was thinking about doing a proper ram air intake on the car. You know with a hood opening that has a large tube that would pressurize a box that would feed the intake with slightly pressurized air when the car was a speed.

Has anyone done this? If so how?

My Honda CBR Supersport bike had ram air that worked in this way.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I asked about it, it would have to be engineered by a pro. A lot more goes into the ram air then I thought, which was putting tubing from behind the grille to the TB, doesn't work quite like that though. Parts are still coming out, hopefully they'll be something like that in the future. It seems like Pipercross's intake was the closest bit you could "make" into ram air, cutting a headlight and mounting it behind that, but you got to have the right flow and all that physicis stuff.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
it would be hard.
ram air actaully can create pressure in the intake causing a supercharger like effect. i've heard of people with trans am, who have a vac/pressure gauge, at 80mph getting about 1.5 psi, 100mph 3 psi and up to 5 psi at 150mph. but with relative power it would be useless on a focus, unless you had a 300hp n/a motor.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wickedgreyzx3 said:
it would be hard.
ram air actaully can create pressure in the intake causing a supercharger like effect. i've heard of people with trans am, who have a vac/pressure gauge, at 80mph getting about 1.5 psi, 100mph 3 psi and up to 5 psi at 150mph. but with relative power it would be useless on a focus, unless you had a 300hp n/a motor.
So why can’t you have the intake slightly pressurized? That extra air still has to get past the intake sensor, so the computer would still know how much air was getting in?! right? It would be getting more and so the computer would inject more fuel, no?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
The Mailman 666 said:
So why can’t you have the intake slightly pressurized? That extra air still has to get past the intake sensor, so the computer would still know how much air was getting in?! right? It would be getting more and so the computer would inject more fuel, no?
becuase of the location of our intake, it bends to much. sure you can pop a hood scoop on your car right where the filter is, but that is gonna look hella gay. i supose you could always piping to infront of the radioator, but that sounds like trouble for hydrolock

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hypothetically if you wanted to flood your enging bay with cold air by some sort of hood scoop this could not hurt right? especially if you already have an intake. But how would you separate the water?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
you would just need to fabricate a block for the hoodscoop incase it would rain...
(going off what a steeda ram air is like

but like on the firebirds, the intake goes SOO far back, your not gonna have to worry

·
Thread Killer
2,711 Posts
What you could do is have a CAI and pop off your fog light housing. Just fabricate a box around the filter [thumb].

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wickedgreyzx3 said:
you would just need to fabricate a block for the hoodscoop incase it would rain...
(going off what a steeda ram air is like

but like on the firebirds, the intake goes SOO far back, your not gonna have to worry
I am totaly going to figure this shit out with a centered hood scoop.

·
Registered
859 Posts
The Mailman 666 said:
I am totaly going to figure this shit out with a centered hood scoop.
Go for it! Worst case it ends up hurting performances so you block the piping, go back to just the Steeda, and it ends up being cosmetic only.

The upside is you have the benefits of a CAI (or better) without the fear of submersing in a big puddle.

Please post back with regular updates on your progress!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts