Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im excited to be getting a new focus soon and wanted your opinion on properly breaking it in. I've heard some people break in their cars by driving it like the stole it, im more old school where i like to take it easy for the first 500-700 miles.. does anyone here have a good break in method?

Also i know some car manufactures (VW) come with special oil from the factory to help with break in, does ford?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
take it easy the first 500 miles then change the oil. if you want to go to the extent of the transmission fluid you can as well.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
use the best oil, like AMSoil and you wont have to worry about excess wear on the engine.

·
Premium Member
21,259 Posts
honhon said:
use the best oil, like AMSoil and you wont have to worry about excess wear on the engine.
You can go to www.amsoil.com and sign up for the preferred customer program, buy in gallons, and get a discount that brings the price to around 6.50 per quart. They don't make an extended life filter for the Focus yet, but I am monitoring my Bosch premium filter that I used to see if it's the same. Basically, you don't have to change your oil but every 25k miles or once per year.

Break in should last for 2500 miles, but we used to run race cars down the track with very few hours on the motor. I always wanted to have a set up to turn a race motor with an electric motor over night like Barry Freize, but never got around to building it.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
just run the car normally. run the revs up once and a while..

babying it is worse that beating the crap otu of it

if you baby it there will be a ridge at the top of the cylinder and the rings will never seat correct.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
there will be a ridge anyway cause the piston only goes up so far. Just drive it like normal without racing with high RPMS or allow the car to run hot for a little while other wise don't worry about it.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
I've heard that 'Royal Purple Oil' is the way to go beyond like mobil1 Synthetic. I gave my car 500 miles and then changed the oil and I've never had a single motor problem for 55K miles.

·
Registered
369 Posts
99bajakid said:
Hey guys, im excited to be getting a new focus soon and wanted your opinion on properly breaking it in. I've heard some people break in their cars by driving it like the stole it, im more old school where i like to take it easy for the first 500-700 miles.. does anyone here have a good break in method?

Also i know some car manufactures (VW) come with special oil from the factory to help with break in, does ford?

break it in like you drive, if you drive hard break it in hard.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After how long though? I couldnt imagine Redlining it straight from the factory would be too good. Hell the clutch alone needs 500 miles to break it, and it takes about that long for the drive trail to wear properly (gears).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts