Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many have purchased the projectors headlights from ebay, K2 etc.
Its been a while now since they have come out. simple question > If you have them, what do you think of the quality? Do they leak? Halo's quit working etc? Just thought I would check. Wife wants them but I don't want a maintenance nightmare.
Thanks

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
I don't have them. From what i have seen alot of people who ask then get them they are solid and good. The halo if LED will go out. They all do. They need a LED swap to preserve that tis a given.

Otherwise i have never heard of leaking issues and the projectors throw and cut off are fairly livable.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have them. From what i have seen alot of people who ask then get them they are solid and good. The halo if LED will go out. They all do. They need a LED swap to preserve that tis a given.

Otherwise i have never heard of leaking issues and the projectors throw and cut off are fairly livable.
Thanks Sn4ckM4st3r. So if I read you right. The Halo's and LED's are dying prematurely? The product since intro is not that old.

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Yeah you are going to find in almost any aftermarket the halos will go prematurely. By no fault of our own but rather a cheap LED and so forth being installed before it gets to you.

Now i could be wrong but alot of the 05-07 ones that are offered now have a CCFL halo. This being the case you have a much better chance of that CCFL working much longer and better then a LED halo style. Check into it but i think alot of the 05-07 ones DO in fact come CCFL.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Now i could be wrong but alot of the 05-07 ones that are offered now have a CCFL halo. This being the case you have a much better chance of that CCFL working much longer and better then a LED halo style. Check into it but i think alot of the 05-07 ones DO in fact come CCFL.
Correct 05-07 have CCFL halos, I didn't connect the LED's cause they look stupid in my opinion but I heard from a few they burn out quick.

The one and only problem I have had is the rubber strip along top of the headlight is already starting to rot, only on the driver side tho. Not sure what thats all about but it's not that big of a deal as it's only a small strip of rubber. Other then that I love em.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah you are going to find in almost any aftermarket the halos will go prematurely. By no fault of our own but rather a cheap LED and so forth being installed before it gets to you.

Yes. I know the newer ones have the CCFL halo's. And I know they last longer, but how do you replace them if they go bad?
LED's should not burn out if they are being driven correctly. So it sounds like they are overdriving them.
pistolgripbmx >> "the rubber strip along top of the headlight is already starting to rot" Can you describe "rot" a bit better plz. It sounds like the rubber is falling apart? Crumbling?

Just curious. OEM headlights will often last at least ten years. How long would you all say the aftermarket headlamps will go?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
haven't had any problems with mine...yet. I know I will eventually be replacing the LED's in mine to a 3mm one. I was even considering putting 2 to 4 lights in the halo to add more light to them. I got the cheapest pair ~ 125.00 to start with because I wanted something different NOW.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
as long as you take care and mantience just as long.

CCFL are much harder to replace but are better halo units.
I guess the question for me is, how do you get a bad halo out of the housing and a new one installed? Did they provide a a method to do this?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You take off the lens and basically pop it out
Is this the part where you have to cook the headlamp in the oven to get the lens to come off? (From a how-to discussing painting you OEM headlamps).

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
pistolgripbmx >> "the rubber strip along top of the headlight is already starting to rot" Can you describe "rot" a bit better plz. It sounds like the rubber is falling apart? Crumbling?
It's just starting to dry rot a bit, just crack it's not all that bad, just something I noticed a few months after I put them in.

·
暗炎
1,925 Posts
My LEDs burnt out within the first month. I disconnected them too, like it better without them.

My rubber has a few cracks too. Not sure what to do about that.

Halo's still work fine.

Did not have to seal them up. Had a fogging problem at first, but that was because I installed them mid January and don't have a garage. Got them dried out and no moisture problems now.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guess I am unsure about which rubber is cracking. Provide a pic?
And just suppose a Halo died. How would you get a replacement? Does it have a manufacturer number?
Can you replace the LED? Can you get to the resistor(s)?

Thanks for putting up with these questions.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
......this is where i promote my junk. i created this how-to for everyone here that had issues with those darn led halos. i replaced mine before i ever installed the housings in the car.

CLICKY HERE!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Posted over on the other thread you made Scrammer. But will also ask here. Your HALO is LED in a plastic housing? Not gas?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts