Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, there seems to be to many threads on projector retro fits. So how about one place to show a picture and what parts were used. I bought a stock headlight to practice on after reading how hard it was to seperate, i must have gotten lucky, I heated it at 260 for 10 minutes and used a small screwdriver and started to pry it at the corner closest to center of the car than pulled it apart, so now i would like to know what projectors and shrouds work the best with stock housing. I also want to put a amber brow to repalace the marker bulb.Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'll be doing a retrofit on a 2007 model this labor day weekend. Generally, H1 style "mini" projectors are easiest to fit requiring little or no trimming. The reflector bowl does not focus light as efficient as a better projector... however it is still WORLDS better than the B-holes who drive around with plug and play kits. Just expect increased foreground light. If you drive in town mostly, this will not be a concern. Most have a threaded rear and different shape shims to attach through the original lamp holder opening. For a few more bones, you can pickup a D2S retrofit which includes actual D2S lamp (not rebased H1) so your lamp choices open up considerably. You'll see a wider beam with a focused hotspot farther down the road and less foreground interference. The downside is considerably more cutting/fitting and the actual size of the projector... not a problem for my headlights but I have no experience with a 2013 headlight.

For the record, I just placed an order on theretrofitsource.com for the FX-R 3.0 kit. I upgraded to XB35 5000K lamps and butyl adhesive. I chose the ocular trim piece. I spent about $350.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm having a total retro done to my '13 Hatchback. I went with the basic Morimoto 6.0 mini H1 projectors. My Focus has the blackout option, so my headlights are not chrome. I'm having the reflectors painted black and the mini-Gatling gun shrouds painted black chrome. I'm also adding a halo around the projector and DRL white/yellow lower brow strip. It will flash yellow with the turn signals then turn white when the signal is not on. I really didn't want to take this project on my own without the experience, so I'm having a pro do it. Yes, it's costing me, but it will be done right along with a warranty. He's one of the Retro Source Fit dealers. I'll post up some pictures when I get them back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts